Incubating Dubia Ooth

I have a female dubia that looks like she may end up dropping an ooth. It's just hanging on by a thread now. Is there a way to incubate Dubia ooths, what temp/humidity does it need to be at? Thank you to anyone that answers!

I have a female dubia that looks like she may end up dropping an ooth. It's just hanging on by a thread now. Is there a way to incubate Dubia ooths, what temp/humidity does it need to be at? Thank you to anyone that answers!

Ugh, I can't type on a laptop... the title is supposed to say "B. Dubia" not "Bubia"...

Dubia actually do not produce ooths; the ooths remain inside their body until they hatch, and the babies come out fully developed. Does your female just look gravid, or is there something hanging out of her behind? If there's something there (since you said it's "hanging on by a thread"), I'm not 100% sure what's happening, but it's possible that the litter is being aborted. If that is the case, it's no reason to stress out, she will have another litter in a few months.

For future reference, if you do have an ooth laying species, you don't need any special care for the ooths; the way you keep the adults should be fine for the ooths.

Dubia actually do not produce ooths; the ooths remain inside their body until they hatch, and the babies come out fully developed. Does your female just look gravid, or is there something hanging out of her behind? If there's something there (since you said it's "hanging on by a thread"), I'm not 100% sure what's happening, but it's possible that the litter is being aborted. If that is the case, it's no reason to stress out, she will have another litter in a few months.

For future reference, if you do have an ooth laying species, you don't need any special care for the ooths; the way you keep the adults should be fine for the ooths.

I thought they still produced an ooth? And that they let it "air out" shortly after mating, then bring it back in during the incubation period.

Anyway, it took about two days, but she finally brought it back in! I thought for sure she'd abort it. Also, this particular dubia is a part of a selective breeding project (and she's over a year old) so I can't risk her losing these babies!

I managed to find an old pic of one of my dubias "airing out" an ooth, for reference of what I'm trying to explain:

DSC01691.jpg

DSC01692.jpg

The above is not the female that had problems.

Oh, ok, I see what you mean now. I misunderstood you at first. I actually didn't know that dubias did the whole airing out thing (I knew hissers did), but that would make sense. Sorry I told you wrong; it's just that I've never actually witnessed it before in my colony. Anyway, good thing she pulled them back in, they should be fine. Good luck with your breeding project, by the way.

Well, ya learn somethin' new every day! ;P And I hope I didn't sound snarky in that post (had a bad day at work and am trying to file a lawsuit, which is not fun). so far the breeding project is going great! In about two more generations I'll be able to possibly prove a dominant trait!