Sharing my pain

Lesson learned. Never let other people move your roaches. I lost an entire colony because my mom left my roaches in her car while she made an hour long stop. It's 105 degrees. I lost 100 dollars of roaches and 600 isopods. No more Panchlora nivea for me I guess... she doesn't understand why I'm upset over it.

I lost my entire first colony of firefly mimics due to a mistake in container type. I basically overheated a perfectly sealed and very humid container, effectively drowning them in the air. Be thankful it was not your own mistake that caused it. I have a crap-ton of Panchlora nymphs currently; for the first time in like two years they are finally doing well. They are one of my favorite so I understand your pain of losing the colony. Where do you live that it's so hot btw?

Almost the same thing happened to my hybrid hisser colony last month. The tube was close the window, but I forgot the sun will shine on that spot for an hour or so in summer, the whole box was overheated one day, and everything in it literally cooked. :(

• 10 months later...

I live in Las Vegas, a few weeks ago it was hitting 111 here. Brutal. And I'm sorry to all of you who have also lost your roaches, it's extremely frustrating.

I'm really sorry about your loss too, Katie. I know how you feel 2/3 times over. 20 years ago, an exterminator devestated a wild roach population I had by fumigating. Later on, he even found and destroyed ones I'd protected from him in tanks!! Unfortunately, I rented. Also when I've tried to keep crickets they all die on me.