E. floridana shake

Shipi

Dear Roachkeepers,

I've got some E. floridiana and I put them into a bigger cage today and watch them. I saw them they are shaking! I cannot found any information about it in the forum, so can somebody tell me why they do that?

Thanks,

Zoltan

Don't worry, it is a normal behavior for them. ;)

They shake to communicate with each other.

Mine do it before mating takes place. I believe that the female approaches the male and if he shakes then he is receptive, if not, he will chase, or kick her away, or not respond to her.

Edited by likebugs

These roaches are a bit different.

Maybe the male releases a pheromone?

I have read different things about their mating behaviors. I have seen both male and female roaches shaking.

Last night, a few of my E. floridana were chasing each other around the container. I hear and see them doing it often. Even the nymphs will run around the sides of the container with the adults. I have no idea what is going on when there.

They are fun roaches to keep and observe!

In my opinion they have a very pleasant odor. I love to smell them when I open the cage. By the way, I have a little more than 50 specimen, so I am very curious how will they smell when I get 300. :D

About the article, I cannot read it. :S But it seems interesting.

Never mind, I've figured it out! :D Just saw the PDF button.