Feeding roaches rose leaves

Keith

I am not sure why but many people swear roaches love to eat rose leaves. I have garden and wild roses in my area, which are safe for roaches? I also have apple tree leaves ( apples and roses are related) could roaches eat that too?

Rotting leaves are most nutritious because of the fungi and microorganisms, but mine like live leaves sometimes too.

• 1 month later...

Rose petals, rose buds, and rose hips can all be safely fed to roaches as long as the rose bush they come from and the surrounding area aren't treated with pesticides and/or any other harmful chemicals. The rose hips especially, are very high in Vitaman C and other antioxidants and this is the time of year you're going to find them too. I've been harvesting all three lately to feed to my hermit crabs and small animals specifically, but the roaches get their share too. There are also quite a few edible flowers/herbs/plants growing in my backyard (some on purpose, some not lol) that I've been collecting too. Marigold petals (calendula), red clover blossoms and leaves, dandelion flowers, leaves, and roots, and honeysuckle are among the stuff I've been collecting--I've been dehydrating most of it so that I will have a store of it over the winter, and once dried they can be crushed or ground into powder, making it easy to feed small amounts or mix into other foods. I don't have an actual dehydrator, I just set my oven to 200* and depending on the size/density of the different items, it usually takes anywhere from 30 minutes to a few hours, I just check ocassionally to see when they're completely dry. You can do the same thing with fruits, veggies, meats, etc., just slice everything into very thin, small, pieces so they don't take too long.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

This is an interesting thread , I have several rose bushes in my back yard .... I need to trim them up so I will dry the leaves and feed them out ...... I'm curious , my lawn consists of very little grass which is Bermuda and a lot of " weeds " ..... when I mow, if I collect the cut grass and dry them out , can these be fed to roaches as well ?

This is an interesting thread , I have several rose bushes in my back yard .... I need to trim them up so I will dry the leaves and feed them out ...... I'm curious , my lawn consists of very little grass which is Bermuda and a lot of " weeds " ..... when I mow, if I collect the cut grass and dry them out , can these be fed to roaches as well ?

They only like fresh rose leaves, not dry. They won't eat grass, dandelion leaves mabye, so long as no pesticide or fertilizer used. They also eat mashed rose hips (with seeds removed).

I have read that they like roses but you shouldn´t give them on big quantities...I read that it would become toxic (don´t know why).

I think roses have nitrogen (as many plants) and that reminds me of hissers eating bird poop because it has nitrogen.

Maybe hissers are "nitrogen-junkies".

• 1 month later...

I have read that they like roses but you shouldn´t give them on big quantities...I read that it would become toxic (don´t know why).

I think roses have nitrogen (as many plants) and that reminds me of hissers eating bird poop because it has nitrogen.

Maybe hissers are "nitrogen-junkies".

Yeah some flowers have insecticide in them like pyrithren. Crysanthamums are one example. It's hard to believe something as nice as flowers can be used to murder poor bugs, but it's true.