my hisser isn't eating ...(help please♡)

teddy

i got my first cockroach, an adult male madagascar hissing cockroach, like two weeks ago, and he hasn't eaten a thing that i can tell.

i've offered him slices of carrot, apple, savoy cabbage, dog food, peas and carrots and i've had to throw it all out without seeing it reduce at all.

***i'm sorry if this isn't the correct forum or site to ask this but i couldn't find any information about it on google and i'm really worried about my baby :'<

i got my first cockroach, an adult male madagascar hissing cockroach, like two weeks ago, and he hasn't eaten a thing that i can tell.

i've offered him slices of carrot, apple, savoy cabbage, dog food, peas and carrots and i've had to throw it all out without seeing it reduce at all.

***i'm sorry if this isn't the correct forum or site to ask this but i couldn't find any information about it on google and i'm really worried about my baby :'<

Perhaps he is eating something else in the container? They like bits of wood, cardboard, leaves, and even some substrates or decorative plants will be nibbled on.

What are you keeping it in?

Is it an adult?

What else is there in the container?

Does it drink if you spray a mist on the sides of the container?

I never saw mine eating if there were only a couple of roaches. I think that they may be insecure when they are alone.

hi!! thank you so much for your help! ❀

he is in a 10 x 9 inch critter keeper terrarium lined with newspaper.

i think he's an adult?? he's not very large but he's formed horns.

in his terrarium there is a big piece of sponge and until recently a little house for him to hide in. i just replaced it with a toilet paper tube so he'd have more room.

i've never seen him drink. he's always hiding.

is there anything you'd recommend? ♥ thank you very, very, very much! ♥

He is probably chewing on the paper products in the container.

Roaches typically like hiding, so that is normal behavior.

I like to use coconut fiber for a substrate and sometimes dead or decaying hardwood leaves mixed in(they like to eat the dead leaves too). There are other substrates that are used. You can search "substrates" on the forum to get other ideas if you don't like the idea of coconut fiber. Also take a look in the enclosures section. There are different things that work for different hobbyists.

I use toilet/paper towel rolls to let them hide in. The problem with those cardboard items is that the roaches like to chew the glue off the rolls. I have never noticed the glue or cardboard to be harmful to the roaches.

Try giving him some banana or orange, it might get him eating if he is not too shy. Most of my omnivorous insects like fish food as well. I could never get my roaches to eat dog food as well as they eat fish food. Maybe my dogfood is not very tasty? :lol:

He may never eat in front of you if he knows you are there. lol

I had the same issue when I only had a couple of roaches, your having just one lessens your chances of viewing a feeding. ;)

When I spray a mist on the sides of my containers, most of my roaches will drink. I enjoy watching them stretch their necks to do it and I can get a good look at them ventrally.

Ilkebugs gave great advice! Use coco fiber or wood chips like repti bark as substrate, you can keep the paper towel roll in or buy wood logs caves at the pet store found in the reptile section.

My hissers favorite foods are apples, bananas, romaine lettuce, and white bread, they also eat oranges, cat kibble, and iguana fruit pellets. Some natural foods from outside they eat are live rose leaves, dry brown oak leaves, and rotting, oak birch or maple bark, just make sure no pesticides or chemicals are used on stuff from outside!

Misting with water before bed is great so they drink, mine only eat at night in the dark, yours might be doing the same. They need to be warm at least around 76 F and higher.