G. portentosa breeding?

I have 3 G. portentosa, a male and two females. One of the females I've had for approximately 8 months, and the other two I've had for about five months, they've all lived together for that time.

I'm hoping for them to breed, but I'm not sure what I'm looking out for, or how to encourage them, any suggestions for husbandry practices that encourage breeding would be greatly appreciated, and any ways to tell if my females might be expecting, I know they generally get larger, but my ladies are pretty big girls anyway!

They're currently in a 12 litre tank, which is kept fairly warm (about 25 degrees) and I mist it every couple of days. They're eating mostly carrots, lettuce, dog biscuits and various breakfast cereals (cornflakes are a firm favourite), with the occasional tangerine segment as well, which is my male's favourite.

Anyway, any advice at all on breeding would be very much appreciated!

This species of hissers breeds very easily. If they have survived to adulthood under your current care the females will, more than likely, reproduce. If you do not always have a diverse food source and available water 24/7, I would encourage that. Provide at least two dark hides and keep your temp from 83-87 F. You could also make sure that one end of the enclosure has a moist substrate with a hide. The other end should be dry with a hide. This provides multiple niches that the gravid females can choose. All of these things can potentially assist in reproduction but I have had this species reproduce with none of these things. I know of someone that accidentally left a gravid female in an empty 4 liter soda bottle with no food and water for 3 months. She had babies. Good luck.

Wonderful, thank you, they currently have a log with roach-sized holes, and a big ol' lumpy bit of bark, so I might add one more hiding place just to be sure, and I'll definitely try the multiple niches idea. It can't hurt.

Three months!? Just goes to show what little troopers these guys are!

Wonderful, thank you, they currently have a log with roach-sized holes, and a big ol' lumpy bit of bark, so I might add one more hiding place just to be sure, and I'll definitely try the multiple niches idea. It can't hurt.

Three months!? Just goes to show what little troopers these guys are!

Your welcome. Yes, they are tough. : )