Need pictures of Parcoblatta species

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I think I was wrong. Not all the ones I caught were just two species, but the red ones Cariblatta told me that they are Parcoblatta lata.

Videos. The black colored ones could be Parcoblatta pennsylvanica of the "southern type". The ones that have a lot of reddish are Parcoblatta lata, the rest with white margins on their pronotums are probably all Parcoblatta divisa. In the videos you cannot see how many there are. There are more underneath the substrate lol. I caught them a few days ago.

Parcoblatta virginica nymphs. These I find outside in the woods the easiest at the moment. The few places I went to to look for Parcoblatta divisa it was easy to find many like the Parcoblatta virginica. The other species of Parcoblatta that live in the leaves are hard to catch even just a few this time of the year, but during the late summer I might be able to catch many of the unidentified possible caudelli because last summer I would find a lot of adults in pine needles.

• 3 weeks later...

The black Parcoblatta pennsylvanica or southern pennsylvanica seem to be P. divisa. Cariblatta had a southern pennsylvanica molt to adult and he said it turned out to be P. divisa. He told me mine were either P. pennsylvanica or a color form of P. divisa and I forgot to say that here. I think he meant that the "southern pennsylvanica" were either P. pennsylvanica or a color form of P. divisa and he was not talking just about my roaches.

Sorry for bad pic.

1617304_1485868058302152_176086807_o.jpg

The "southern pennsylvanica" was a term I came up for black form of P. divisa that I erroneously thought that they were different strain of pennsylvanica than the northern ones due to their small size, and the fact that the black female I had never produced viable oothecae when she was housed with several divisa (I think this was due to my poor keeping condition).

Few days ago, some of the "southern pennsylvanica" nymphs I collected matured into adult males so I checked under their wings to make sure that my ID was correct. When I did that, I realized that these males weren't pennsylvanica, but were divisa so I was able to determine that these "southern pennsylvanica" were actually just a black form of P. divisa.

Cariblatta do you know if some of the roaches in this image are Parcoblatta divisa and not Parcoblatta pennsylvanica?

http://www.ncbi.nlm....748109fig04.jpg

I feel more certain that the "possibly caudelli" are Parcoblatta caudelli because in this link it says in Raleigh Parcoblatta caudelli and Parcoblatta virginica were caught in the traps commonly and the only other common Parcoblatta similar are Parcoblatta fulvescens (I have not seen fulvescens, though I might have and thought it was the same thing as the caudelli) and Parcoblatta uhleriana.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3286908/

I have read that P. fulvescens are common in Raleigh, but I wonder if they misidentified them because I did not find P. fulvescens looking males with just one pair of modified structure and not two pairs like the P. caudelli. To me the "possible caudelli" and the pictures by Cariblatta of P. fulvescens, both look similar.

• 3 months later...

Cariblatta has caught the macropterous Parcoblatta caudelli (or true caudelli) I think from Florida also a lot of other interesting roaches such as a different Cariblatta species and Latiblattella rehni. I might have caught an adult of the macropterous Parcoblatta caudelli here in North Carolina. And I have a caught a female Parcoblatta fulvescens (Alan Jeon said it was a fulvescens).

• 3 weeks later...

Cariblatta has caught the macropterous Parcoblatta caudelli (or true caudelli) I think from Florida

*Correction: A friend of Cariblatta (Now his username is Cariblatta lutea) found that P. caudelli female on a tree accidentally.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

They all came from one adult female I caught I think in July (?) on a sidewalk in my neighborhood where there were small rotting plums on the sidewalk and on the lawn because there was a plum tree in the yard. She is still living. Here are photos of her I took months ago.

10700097_1581063468782610_5684894497176384038_o.jpg

10630663_1581063415449282_4792279559634413300_o.jpg

10257261_1581063422115948_8986450205823168813_o.jpg