domino slow growth

so about two years ago i purchased a couple dozen domino nymphs from kenthebugguy.

since it was such a fancy roach i wanted to try as close to a natural setup as i could. i layered some mulch and leaves and all in a bucket setup.

i left the roaches to feed off the decaying plant material and watered them when the bucket started to dry all through the first year i wasnt able to keep the temp above the low 70's for the first year then i moved and switched to a tub that i was able to heat better. i started to feed them at this point also (mostly bug burger and bee pollen).

today after a little more than two years i had my first nymph molt to a adult.

how long does it take everyone elses to mature under normal conditions? i have some ?'s and they seem to mature in only about 6months or so.

i know that i slowed there development but two years seems a bit much.

9355915816_0389bbfe01_c.jpg

domino by monostomatic, on Flickr

Both my Dominos and Questions took less than a year. I got mine last April as large nymphs from Zephyr, and they molted into adulthood in only a month or two. Their offspring molted into adults early last month. Adults of both species popped up within 2 weeks of each other, so they seem evenly matched.

I'm keeping mine between 80 and 85, feeding Milkbones and fresh fruit as the dish empties (apple, pear, mango), and they have a dish of water with stones to keep the little ones from drowning. Substrate is peat moss and sphagnum moss kept moist, a couple lilac sticks to climb on, and they have a very small Pothos in there as well. (I spray the tub down about once a week, adding more water to the sub when the Pothos starts to wilt.) The nymphs tackle the food, but they also demolish Maple leaves - and for me I think that's been the key to having a TON of nymphs running around! The entire ground moves now when I spray. :)

Temps play a huge role in development.

Give them heat they are equatorial and high temps is something they use far more than low.

But give them a retreat from heat just like in nature...here in FL i can find a. floridiana easier in winter time because they come up in the substrate for warmth in the morning but in summer they go into a form of aestivation and go deep "less it rains" it was 93 today and dry.... so please give a range and let them have the "thermostat".