Help!Escape Artists!

Rageclick

Hi guys, I'm not exactly new to keeping roaches since i have a stable colony of dubia roaches for a year now. And I recently got a decent amount of lobster roaches to feed my inverts w/c both species seem to thrive and breed successfully but My new G. Portentosa nymphs keeps on escaping. Petroleum jelly does NOT do the job of preventing the nymphs from escaping. I keep them in a tub and they could pass through the small openings and I see some nymphs around my invert rack regularly. How can I prevent them from escaping. I temporarily solved the problem by taping the sides every time i close it and tape it back again afterwards. Whats the best escape proof barrier for Those troublesome escape artists? Help!!

How thick is the petroleum jelly barrier you are putting on there? I have had my hissers in a 40 gallon aquarium for about 2 months with a 3 inch petroleum jelly barrier at the top, and none of my small nymphs have escaped. I have done the taping the sides thing before when I had them in a different enclosure. How far do you have the petroleum jelly below the openings? Sometimes my nymphs will climb to the top, but turn around when they get to the barrier.

I was having trouble with Redhead escapees because my vaseline was too thick and they could crawl right over it! Once I smeared it really thin on the glass they couldn't climb out anymore. I'm worried about having hisser babies because I hear they are masters of escape.

I have my hissers in a 10 gallon tank. I put foam tape around the inside edge of the lid to seal off any holes. I put a piece of sheer curtain on top of the tank and then the lid. All this PLUS the vaseline barrier. It seems to work for the more troublesome Redhead escapees - I'll wait to see what happens with Hisser nymphs!

Oxyhaola duesta or Red-head roach. They can climb anything and were easily navigating over a vaseline barrier until I spread it VERY thin!

There are some great videos of them on Youtube. Redheads are considered "feeder roaches" but I find them endlessly entertaining as pets :)

I have 4 inches of petroleum jelly as barriers on my tub. Yet they can still saw nymphs around my rack that escaped. any other suggestions on how to keep them in. It's really a shame to loose some nymphs to ants after they escaped, Now I'm planning to buy some mesh of some sort and perhaps use it to cover the top of the tub before closing its lid. What kind of mesh should i use that the roaches won't even try chewing on?

I keep my oblongonatas and javanics in 10 gallon tanks with a 2 inch Vaseline barriers and a screen top. It seems like substrate attracts them to the bottom of the cage. I leave a fist size pile of moss which I mist fairly often and the nymphs seem to be attracted to it and don't attempt escape often. Although I still find the occasional desiccated twitching or dead nymph here and there.

• 3 weeks later...

SLE18's suggestion really does work, for my new hisser nymphs I have them in a small invert box, inside a goldfish bowl with Vaseline anda tights seal over the top! I heard hisser nymphs are escape artists, so my nymph setup is an impenetrable fortress!

• 1 year later...

Hissers & Lobster Roach nymphs especially are escape artists and climb glass or plastic easily, you want something that not only keeps your roach colonies in and prevents them from escaping, you also want to repel or prevent invasive insects eg: spiders & mites from entering.

I suggest to all my customers to use several lines of defense in the quest to prevent roach nymph escape, especially with the adept climbers

A product that Works as a Super Slick Roach & Insect Boundary & Barrier Works by keeping Roaches in their colonies and keeps unwanted pests out of your colonies.

It Works better than frequent messy re-applications of vaseline and may be used as a first line defense against escapes or invasions into your roach colonies as well as increasing the effectiveness of an already established barrier..

The product works like it should. It is safe, does not melt run or drip like vaseline and can stand up to high heat. It need not be reapplied (unless it gets overly soiled in that case a re-application may be needed)

CONTAIN Super Slick Roach & Insect Barrier