R.I.P. big ben.

he was my first cockroach, a madagascan hisser, he is the roach that is my avatar. i got him three years ago, as an unexpected present from my grandfather. i had been wanting one for years, so i was stoked that he had got me one. he was slow and old, no one knew how old he was when we got him.

i loved him sooooo much, he got me interested in keeping all types of roaches, and led me to this forum, he was my favorite roach out of all the others i kept. he lived three years in my care. i buried him in my fern pot ( my fern has grown more then it ever has!) and had a little funeral for him. he will be missed.

Sorry to hear he died, if you got him as an adult and had him for 3 years that means he was 4 ( or older), which is very old! My first Hisser was a male named Monty, he only lived a few months I got him from discarded breeding stock and both his antennae were gone and he couldn't climb anymore, but he had a last few good months. Now I'm raising my own hissers from birth its so rewarding. :)

Hissers of all species are GREAT ! They are strange , most days the adults and nymphs are all buried in substrates and rotting wood but certain evenings and nights , there might be 100s of babies up at the top of the containers while the adults are still chillin under their substrate. I don't know if these are brand new babies or mixed ages nymphs ... Anyways , sorry to blab about nothing , LOL ... Sorry for hear your loss. I had no idea hissers only lived 3 or 4 yrs , I thought maybe they might lived longer. :(

Hissers of all species are GREAT ! They are strange , most days the adults and nymphs are all buried in substrates and rotting wood but certain evenings and nights , there might be 100s of babies up at the top of the containers while the adults are still chillin under their substrate. I don't know if these are brand new babies or mixed ages nymphs ... Anyways , sorry to blab about nothing , LOL ... Sorry for hear your loss. I had no idea hissers only lived 3 or 4 yrs , I thought maybe they might lived longer. :(

Some can live up to 7, the OP said he didn't know how old his Hisser was when he got it so it might have been 7 who knows? And yeah Hisser nymphs tend to stay near the top of the cage liking to climb where adults stay put on the ground great observation!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

he was my first cockroach, a madagascan hisser, he is the roach that is my avatar. i got him three years ago, as an unexpected present from my grandfather. i had been wanting one for years, so i was stoked that he had got me one. he was slow and old, no one knew how old he was when we got him.

i loved him sooooo much, he got me interested in keeping all types of roaches, and led me to this forum, he was my favorite roach out of all the others i kept. he lived three years in my care. i buried him in my fern pot ( my fern has grown more then it ever has!) and had a little funeral for him. he will be missed.

Awwwe!! I'm sorry to hear also and am impressed with such love for an individual. My times almost up. Tomorrow I'll tell of my favorite.

Thanks guys, i guess he did live a pretty long life, for a roach. Lol yep I am gonna be getting a bunch of roaches for Xmas, that's for sure!