Black germans

Cariblatta

• 1 month later...

Title says it all (though some of them are reddish brown in color. lol)

942423_558929577502495_1534236581_n.jpg

44812_558929564169163_1718338307_n.jpg

1009865_579364608792325_910986932_n.jpg

1237064_579364628792323_1199946083_n.jpg

PRETTY! Are these a different strain from the normal light brown German? Those are the kind I have. Rescued them from a friends house before his exterminator came. I reclaim loose roaches by sucking them into a mini-vacuum cleaner. Then I shake them back into the tank, usually having tap or hit the funnel to get them in. If I'm not mistaken, we're the only two on the forum who keep German. Good for you.

The balcony is infested with cellar spider in other word 27 hour pest control :D But I will go out at some piont and look for what ever invert species I can get my claws I mean hands on

As I mentioned above to Cariblatta, you can reclaim the roaches by using a mini-vac and shake them back in the tank. It doesn't seem to hurt my German except the tiny new borns. I'm just hoping that'll save some of your individuals from the spider.

PRETTY! Are these a different strain from the normal light brown German? Those are the kind I have. Rescued them from a friends house before his exterminator came. I reclaim loose roaches by sucking them into a mini-vacuum cleaner. Then I shake them back into the tank, usually having tap or hit the funnel to get them in. If I'm not mistaken, we're the only two on the forum who keep German. Good for you.

Yep. It's a variation of german roaches that has been selectively bred for this trait in lab for couple of generations :)

and there is one more person I know who keeps germans here, Kyle! lol

• 2 weeks later...

Your a braver person than myself. I would be terrified of escapes.

me too! Is there a reason to keep any type that may infest other than just fun? Because there are so many better choices for a feeder species....

Pull all the frogs for a few hours and use dry ice (CO2) to nuke the tank. The plants are fine with it but everything else alive suffocates. No need to start to from scratch. ;) Just put a big fan on the tank after about an hour to get fresh air back in.

GENIUS!

• 1 month later...

So, I caved, lol. Just thought I'd add to this. Just got mine the other day. Cool little roaches, still wary of them though, haha.

2rqgkuq.jpg

294mkco.jpg

Looks like Kyle is doing great job at distributing them :)

I would take those light brown ones out of the culture (unless they are all teneral specimens) cause they will taint your culture slowly.

Looks like Kyle is doing great job at distributing them :)

I would take those light brown ones out of the culture (unless they are all teneral specimens) cause they will taint your culture slowly.

I think the light brown were recently born or fresh molts and are still darkening.

Yeah I'm keeping my eye on the larger nymphs to see if they end up as dark as the adults before I cull them. I'd like to breed these even darker over a period of time, hoping for a jet black strain where even the pronotum markings are gone.

Also, just FYI, vaseline is useless as a barrier for the nymphs. Just sayin. Lol

Yeah I'm keeping my eye on the larger nymphs to see if they end up as dark as the adults before I cull them. I'd like to breed these even darker over a period of time, hoping for a jet black strain where even the pronotum markings are gone.

Also, just FYI, vaseline is useless as a barrier for the nymphs. Just sayin. Lol

Instead of culling them, how about keeping them separate from black ones?

I've separated all my light brown ones into separate containers to develop light brown strain and it seems to be working. lol

I think you might have put too much vaseline on the side of the container. I've had nymphs climb over vaseline when I put too much vaseline on the side so I had to do some trials to figure out how to stop the nymphs from climbing. lol

I think you might have put too much vaseline on the side of the container. I've had nymphs climb over vaseline when I put too much vaseline on the side so I had to do some trials to figure out how to stop the nymphs from climbing. lol

It's a super thin layer which works well for Schultesia lampyridiformis, which is about the same size. I'll play around with it and see what I can get to work.

• 2 years later...