Housing climbing roaches in Exo-terra terrariums

Blattodea313

Even when you close the little slidders on the top there are still slits. I bet if you seal the slits from inside and then not open the top you would be good. Unless they can get out of the front door(s) but they are pretty tight. I am going to do this soon so I can house my pokie slings. If you just put the tape over the top slits from the outside the roaches legs will stick to the adhesive on the tape and they will loose their legs or die. I bet if there are a lot of roaches in there when you open the door they will run out. Good luck.

• 2 months later...

I have tried this before with hissers, which was a major fail :) but I am thinking about putting gyna lurida and the ornate velvet roach in an exo terra terrarium. I don't think the nymphs of those can climb.

It's been 2 months, so how did you make out with the 2 species in the terrarium? Just an idea if you use the tape and they get stuck. When my landlord would put out traps for my Germans, I would try to rescue them by cutting the glue around their legs and gently pulling them out. I would usually end up mutilating my German, but I imagine your 2 exotic kinds are bigger and therefore not as fragile.

It's been 2 months, so how did you make out with the 2 species in the terrarium? Just an idea if you use the tape and they get stuck. When my landlord would put out traps for my Germans, I would try to rescue them by cutting the glue around their legs and gently pulling them out. I would usually end up mutilating my German, but I imagine your 2 exotic kinds are bigger and therefore not as fragile.

Unfortunately, I haven't gotten the roaches yet. I am going to order Gyna lurida this Sunday. I had to let one of the plants in the terrarium grow up some, so that it would block out the bright light shining in the enclosure. The plant was a schefflera (they grow extremely fast). Do you know which species is bigger? I am not sure about keeping both of them in the same terrarium since it is not that big. I might add Hemiblabera tenebricosa instead of the ornate velvet roaches.

Unfortunately, I haven't gotten the roaches yet. I am going to order Gyna lurida this Sunday. I had to let one of the plants in the terrarium grow up some, so that it would block out the bright light shining in the enclosure. The plant was a schefflera (they grow extremely fast). Do you know which species is bigger? I am not sure about keeping both of them in the same terrarium since it is not that big. I might add Hemiblabera tenebricosa instead of the ornate velvet roaches.

No. But any questions you might have you could ask our 2 or 3 expert members. Zephyr raises all kinds of species all kinds of species. Orin McMonigle just published a book on roach species and care and Keith seems pretty knowledgeable as well. I only keep German. Lots of luck getting them and have fun!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i have my G. portentosa's in a exo terra terrarium Mini wide (3 adults, 2 sub adults, 2 large nymphs, 40ish new babies) and the only problem i have had is the SLIDES on the lid for wires to go into the tank, i have had to block those off so my newborn nymphs dont get out. But only the new borns got out.

• 4 weeks later...

i have my G. portentosa's in a exo terra terrarium Mini wide (3 adults, 2 sub adults, 2 large nymphs, 40ish new babies) and the only problem i have had is the SLIDES on the lid for wires to go into the tank, i have had to block those off so my newborn nymphs dont get out. But only the new borns got out.

Do you have problems with the nymphs getting out the sides where the front doors are? I am thinking about getting some G. grandidieri to go in an exo-terra terrarium.

Do you have problems with the nymphs getting out the sides where the front doors are? I am thinking about getting some G. grandidieri to go in an exo-terra terrarium.

No not really u have to be careful when u open a door and make sure they are not hanging out around the hinges. If u take the lid off the only problem i have had is for the slides for the wire all i did was run a piece of black tape all along the back of the lid.