Termite experience

specimen24-6

I can't help you. But if you want a non-native species you may have to check your state's regulations on that. The formosan termite has been pretty destructive in some areas, so some states may want to avoid more potential non-native introductions.

Otherwise I would assume similar set up to that used for many ants. You have to take whether fresh air can make it into all parts of the nest into account, too.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have a link but it should be easy to find if you search it on google and wards does have a search bar but just found out that if your thinking of ordering then you need to be a member to order. I did found another biological supply called Niles biological but there not very pacific about the sexier of termites they have. O and I hope im not steering people away but seek knolage.

• 2 weeks later...

Peter, it's great to here from you. You and Orin are my idols. I might find something to trade with you but I don't know how to ship live invertebrates but spiders like the marbled cellar spiders(Holocnemus pluchei) seem very easy to ship and I might find a Iris oratoria (Mediterranean Mantis) ootheca and if I look hard enough I can find Latrodactus sp. (Black widow spider) ;)

I've never had much luck keeping them alive for very long. In my business it's a daily occurance to come across subterranean termites but I've never been able to locate a queen just yet. The workers and soldiers I occasionally grab never seen to last very long... But then again I'm only holding them for short observances anyway. I'd be curious how long they can actually fair without a queen. I'd imagine they are similar to ants and colonial bees and will only survive for a few weeks.

A worker can live for a few years a soldiers can't live with out the workers because workers feed the soldiers vea mouth to mouth. Vfox your probalaby doing something wrong with there captivity because iv done some digging in the ant farm forum and they successfully keep termites to the point of getting winged termites. Also they say that termites are very sensitive to chemicals so vfox you could be giving them wood with chemicals or tap water ,which has chemicals :)

Ps: all you need is alot of workers and soldiers and the kind of termites you keeped need soil or plenty of moister but don't over water

A worker can live for a few years a soldiers can't live with out the workers because workers feed the soldiers vea mouth to mouth. Vfox your probalaby doing something wrong with there captivity because iv done some digging in the ant farm forum and they successfully keep termites to the point of getting winged termites. Also they say that termites are very sensitive to chemicals so vfox you could be giving them wood with chemicals or tap water ,which has chemicals :)

Ps: all you need is alot of workers and soldiers and the kind of termites you keeped need soil or plenty of moister but don't over water

To be honest I'm not trying to keep them alive very hard. Haha. If I wanted to keep them alive for longer than a few days I'd give them a more suitable environment. I didn't know solitary workers could survive that long without the colony as support. Hmm