Possible white Panchlora

Cariblatta

Awesome! :D I think I read somewhere that non native roaches in Canada is illegal, is that true? If so, that seems kinda stupid, seeing as Canada has a much colder climate than much of the United states, so there would be an extremely slim chance of any of the tropical species becoming established. If anything, I would think Canada would be more open to what types of non native species are allowed.

They are slightly bigger than P. nivea. Females are 2.5cm long, 3cm with the wings.

Hisserdude - it is illegal. Luckily, they are in a facility that meets the quarantine requirements. There is a slight advantage with these being a potential new species - they are not listed as pests (or anything else, for that matter) in any risk assessment...

While I do not wish to turn this thread into a discussion about control of exotic species, some regulations are justified. It is true that Canada is severly cold in the winter, but for this reason potential pests will tend to stick around inhabited areas where there is heating and food. That said, I do agree that some species have absolutely no way to establish in Canada. I never understood why some tropical insects are forbidden, especially stick insects.

Hisserdude - it is illegal. Luckily, they are in a facility that meets the quarantine requirements. There is a slight advantage with these being a potential new species - they are not listed as pests (or anything else, for that matter) in any risk assessment...

While I do not wish to turn this thread into a discussion about control of exotic species, some regulations are justified. It is true that Canada is severly cold in the winter, but for this reason potential pests will tend to stick around inhabited areas where there is heating and food. That said, I do agree that some species have absolutely no way to establish in Canada. I never understood why some tropical insects are forbidden, especially stick insects.

Ok, thanks for clearing that up. BTW, "ghost" roach sounds like a great common name for this species!

The white color is cleaner on the upper side, and the underside is more ivory-yellowish. It is difficult to get their true color to come out nicely in the photo as in real life. I did not want to use a flash because then the pale color would be blown out by the flash (not to mention these roaches are glossy).

They are white in real life, but as they age the white turns into ivory-yellowish, especially at the base of the wings.

• 5 months later...

Any updates on these beauties? :) What do the nymphs look like? (I assume they are a dull brown/black like most roach nymphs, right?).