Blaberus craniifer identification

After having this discussion on a Facebook group the other day with folks from the US and Europe it seems that there is some much needed research into the holotype to be done. But the consensus currently is that they are both Blaberus craniifer but the black winged animal being from the Caribbean and southern Florida while the brown winged animal is from Central and South America.

That being said, I feel like these two should never have been named the same species. If the holotype of Blaberus craniifer is the brown winged cockroach then the black winged cockroach should be renamed. They are able to crossbreed because the male genitalia is the same shape. For some reason this ability to hybridize has everyone convinced they are the same species... Which tends to ignore all the other Blaberus that can hybridize. Not to mention the two animals have differently shaped bodies, coloration, size, and behavior. But hey, what do I know...

Both are actually Blaberus craniifer, but it is not kwnon if it's a selective breeding or a different local.

Anyway, beware about hybrids, they exist and need to be avoided ;)

can some one please tell me why hybrids and such are so bad? To me, there is no differences other than one has different genes.

can some one please tell me why hybrids and such are so bad? To me, there is no differences other than one has different genes.

If they get out into the wild they mix with other species and those other species die out. Also often hybrids are not healthy but sometimes hybrids are stronger (by stronger I mean better in some way).

The weaker part sounds not too good, the lineage part I understand BUT if the hybrids have different markings then shouldn't they be able to tell? Obviously if your buying online your not but if it's in person then you should be able to tell the difference. If any of that makes sense

The weaker part sounds not too good, the lineage part I understand BUT if the hybrids have different markings then shouldn't they be able to tell? Obviously if your buying online your not but if it's in person then you should be able to tell the difference. If any of that makes sense

There is not just crosses of half and half of each kind which would probably be easy to tell apart from one of those pure species. A roach could maybe have a very little of another species and that still is a hybrid right? And because they have so little of the other species they might look just like the pure ones. I have read about golden jackles being bred into a dog.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackal%E2%80%93dog_hybrid

the diferences are actually more complicated, that"s small details because marquing can be different within the same species :/

Yeah I raise German and I've noticed that some don't turn light brown when they're fully grown, but remain black like the nymphs.

There are a couple breeders that have strains of almost completely black German cockroaches. I hope to get some in the next few months when the weather improves. I don't care for regular ones but the black ones for some reason don't worry me as much, haha.

Yeah I raise German and I've noticed that some don't turn light brown when they're fully grown, but remain black like the nymphs.
Do you mean they remain dark or really black? My younger German Roach nymphs had some black or dark brown on the sides and light brown in the middle.

Do you mean they remain dark or really black? My younger German Roach nymphs had some black or dark brown on the sides and light brown in the middle.

Completely jet black through all stages of development.