Blaberus giganteus

• 3 weeks later...

Great photo Orin.... I really want to start another colony of these again. When I sold everything out last time, my colony had finally became established.... took some time. They are really impressive in person...Mine loved fresh fruit and veggie treats.

While I've long heard of the "6 inch wingspan" -150mm- of B. giganteus I always figured it was an exaggeration. However, after assuming it was off by an inch or so for decades, one day I grabbed a decent female, spread the forewings and they were nearly exactly half a foot across.

I hope to get some of these again one day. I used to have a few adults, but they never reproduced. I think I just had males. They're one of my favorite roaches though. Thanks for confirming that 6" wingspan. I always thought that was an exaggeration too :o

• 1 month later...
I hope to get some of these again one day. I used to have a few adults, but they never reproduced. I think I just had males. They're one of my favorite roaches though. Thanks for confirming that 6" wingspan. I always thought that was an exaggeration too :o

Anyone mind taking photos of these sitting on a ruler? I recall that lengthwise they are bigger than 3 inches?