help explaining??

so my dad REALLY hates just about any reptile except turtles, tortoises, and SOME beautiful lizards and roaches :( how do I explain that most roaches arent that bad and that they get a huge bad name? the other day when we were building my shed for my animals, he went into the garage anf found a dubia nymph. i tried to explain that they survive in the garage because its kinda humid (obviously in MN) BUT the poor little nymph was skinny so i also explained that he cant find food out there so if there are anymore out there they will die soon or they will definitely will die by winter. he thinks that these tropical roaches like dubia and hissers are gonna take over our house but he really doesnt realize they arent going to.

Maybe show your dad this video. But it may creep him out more.

Say that just about all roaches are forest floor loving roaches and do not like most homes, especially neat and clean homes (the exception would be the German Roach which lives in houses well). And say that most roaches seem to take forever to grow and have a long life span compared to mantises. Yes, Hissers and Dubias probably could not really live in your house although those two species of roaches might be one of the tougher roaches in the hobby because they can live without a substrate and with just egg crates. The Phoetallia pallida are one of the tougher pet roaches. I have found them out in my room living for a while underneath stacks of paper.

How many houses have you looked in? Parcoblatta virginica and P. pennsylvanica are said to live in Minnesota here. I do not know exactly where in Minnesota though. It might be Minnesota is not a very good place for roaches because I cannot find many roaches from Minnesota.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parcoblatta_virginica

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parcoblatta_pennsylvanica

brown banded, american, german, and oriental roaches are supposed to be the most common pest species obviously anywhere but in MN also. i had to clean this one house in town that was totally trashed. it could have been on the hoarders TV show it was so bad. and yet i didnt see any sign of roaches not even termites! i think its about time to move to florida!