Trying to science. Flat-horns!

Hey all, I am trying to get together a project to complete with flat-horns. I'm looking for sources and some information from the sources. I'm trying to get them as genetically diverse as possible. Have these been introduced into the hobby multiple times? If so, does anyone have stock that is genetically different from the "common" stock? I'm going to need at least 10 of both genders, but more would be great.

I also have flat-horns for sale here: http://www.roachforum.com/index.php?showtopic=5380

I may be able to sex the medium nymphs if you want a certain amount of each gender. I might have some large sized ones available too.

I'm aware of where to buy them, but I'm more looking for information on when/where the stock came from. I'm trying to get a genetically diverse bunch, so more information on their lineage would be awesome. If that's not available I'd be very happy to just hear about the seller's history with the species, just to get some understanding. I'd be happy to share the results if/when they are available. Thanks everyone!

There's a "recently imported" strain of flat horns in Europe, other wise I guess the ones in US probably have similar genetic background.

I've heard rumor said that the current captive populations have smaller size due to loss of diversity. "Giant" individuals do pop out now and then (I've got one as large as common hisser), but on the other hand it is possible that most wide horn hissers in captivity have become dwarfs.

I heard there are multiple strains aswell from some asian guy that breeds them I asked online. He noted in the wild they are larger than in captivity, I asked because my female is as large as an average sized captive male im like what gives lol! He said I just took Really good care of her allowing her to reach full size because she is so healthy.

Sorry for the late response! I've been in Costa Rica for my spring break. I'll be contacting sellers soon. Of the people who have them and have responded, how long have you had the colonies? What has their care been like? I've read they are similar to normal hissers in their care, but do you all have any tips to get them going?

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...