Bug allergies?

Hisserdude

Hi, I have been getting really itchy when i sweat, but it is only in my bedroom, which is where I keep all my bugs. The itching is severe, there are no inflammations, no hives, no sneezing, just unbearable itching when I sweat. It can happen when I lift my cages, or move around a lot, my room is a small and sometimes stuffy room. I'm REALLY hoping its not my bugs, but I need to know. Does this sound like a allergic reaction to my bugs, or is it something else? I also have a cat, but don't cat allergies make you sneeze? Any advice would be appreciated!

I sometimes have a reaction like that to my dubia and posticus colonies. It only happens when I'm working inside the container like cleaning, feeding them etc. However, I can sit in the reptile room all day and have no problems. I usually just have mild itching but sometimes it's so bad I get hives. I just take an antihistamine and wear gloves. That helps a lot.

You might want to look into getting a good hepa filter for your problem. It should help filter out allergens in the air.

It usually never happens when I am actually taking care of my bugs, even in the dry cages. Thanks for the advice!

Maybe try getting a pack of cheap dust masks to wear while you're working with your colonies? It helps me, at least.

Any chance you could move your bins somewhere with better ventilation? That could help, too.

In any case, it may be something you want to ring your doctor about, Hisserdude

Yeah, that might help. It doesn't really happen when I take care of or am near my bugs though, which is the most confusing thing. I am across the room from my bugs right now sitting down and I am starting to itch. I do plan on telling my doctor next time I go. Thanks for the advice!

I hope your doctor can help, and you feel better soon! It's funny that it seems to happen when you sweat. Think it could be your laundry detergent?

Thanks! :) I am really starting to doubt that it is my bugs. I just went to my dusty-ist, frassy-ist enclosures, and breathed in deeply, dug through the substrate, (probably not the best idea, lol!), and nothing happened. Thanks for all the help guys!

Cockroach allergies are developed over time. I have heard that they are possible to prevent, if contact is limited. In other words, I would advise you not to breath in the frass. :)

Yeah, I don't usually breath in frass, I was just testing. The only roaches I have are polyphagids and some horseshoe crab roaches, and they haven't produced much frass yet. My darkling beetles on the other hand have turned their substrate completely into frass, I just replaced the substrate in one of their cages cause it was just frass, lol!

Glad you are fine with your bugs cause I've already got some reactions now lol. I think it is always a good idea to have limited contact and keep them away from bedroom, since allergic reaction can build up with time.

Luckily I never have gotten a rash or any sneezing from my bugs. You guys must be pretty dedicated to keep bugs whilst being allergic to them!

I don't do anything special and I am always in my roach enclosures cleaning and stuff without special precautions (except for keeping the roaches in the enclosure!). The only "allergy" I have ever had was with mealworm frass but their frass is super fine and dusty.

I don't do anything special and I am always in my roach enclosures cleaning and stuff without special precautions (except for keeping the roaches in the enclosure!). The only "allergy" I have ever had was with mealworm frass but their frass is super fine and dusty.

It usually takes a long time to develop so I would take a caution.

LOL yeah... If I ever do develop allergies to roaches, I'm not getting rid of them. Just gonna have to deal with it :). Love my bugs too much.

Me too, lol!

• 7 years later...

Im inch but was doing this before getting the insects  It gets mighty hot in AR and sweat happens.  I with you all about keeping the bugs even when allergies night or have happened.  I knew about the possibility of allergies and got them anyway.