Well they take a year or two to mature, so they are probably not the best feeder. They're better suited for pets, not pet food.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I suspect that they are wild-harvested, as with many components of traditional Eastern medicine.

Eupolyphaga sinensis for medical use are mostly captive-bred. Mass breeding of this species is easy and cheap so there's no reason for wild collecting.

Personally I'm not a follower of traditional Asian med; but just like other markets what they're looking for is profit. If captive breeding makes profits people will do it.

• 1 year later...

They (Chinese) indeed breed these roaches en mass. There are in fact a lot of patent description available that describe methods to breed them. 
The English translation isn't particularly good (rather abysmal), but it contains a well of information: 

breeding patent

eggs hatching method

And there are many more.... 

• Like 2

Hello, 

I guess it's possible, but they are not the best feeders... Slow growers, it will require a lot of space to breed them if you want to constantly have preys for your animals. 

They are good producers (I have a colony of 600-1000 of them), but the colony is big due to the fact I keep most of them... ;)

• 3 months later...
On 4/11/2017 at 8:11 AM, stanislas said:

They (Chinese) indeed breed these roaches en mass. There are in fact a lot of patent description available that describe methods to breed them. 
The English translation isn't particularly good (rather abysmal), but it contains a well of information: 

breeding patent

eggs hatching method

And there are many more.... 

Thanks for the links.  Very interesting!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.