Chorisoneura texensis, Small Yellow Texas Roach.

Hisserdude

Here are my F1 adults! :D

Male grooming himself

Chorison%25231.JPG

Female

Chorison%25232.JPG

Chorison%25233.JPG

Chorison%25234.JPG

Chorison%25235.JPG

I was totally expecting to fail with these, but they have flourished in my care and have grown very quickly! Hopefully this species will continue to do well for me and create a second generation. :)

• 1 month later...

Hats off to you! I acknowledge you as the roach god ;)

Lol thanks, I appreciate the acknowledgment! :lol: But really, you're way more experienced than I am, if anyone's the roach lord here it's you! ;)

Great job getting them through a generation like that! Awesome to see another roach beginning to make its way into the hobby like this :)

Great job getting them through a generation like that! Awesome to see another roach beginning to make its way into the hobby like this :)

Thanks! :) I agree, it's nice to see a new species starting to get itself established in culture, hopefully soon I'll have enough to spread this species around the hobby a bit.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I just barely avoided losing this species, all the adults died off a little while ago, and all that I have left are oothecae, which have been hatching. However I had been noticing all the hatchlings were disappearing. I saw a few of them had died due to drowing in water droplets, which I quickly wiped away, however that didn't seem to help much. Turns out, the hundreds, maybe thousands of Sinella curvista springtails I had been using as a clean up crew in the cage were directly outcompeting the hatchlings for food. They would swarm the food right after I put it in the enclosure, and the poor, timid roach nymphs never even had a chance to get a bite of the springtail covered food.

Now, normally springtails have no chance of outcompeting larger roaches for food, the larger roaches can push them away like they are nothing. However some of these adult springtails are actually larger than the hatchling Chorisoneura, so they actually directly compete with them for food and living spaces. 

Luckily not all the ootheca had hatched, and I went through the cage and removed all the healthy, unhatched looking oothecae I could find and moved them to drier cage with no Sinella curviseta in it. Just checked the cage tonight and found some nymphs in it, and I also checked the old enclosure with all the springtails in it and found five tiny hatchlings on the lid, four of which I moved to the new container, (I accidentally smashed the fifth one :(). So things are looking up now, hopefully I'll be able to breed the remaining individuals I have, unless the cage gets infested with springtails the nymphs should be just fine.

So, the lesson here is, be sure not to keep these guys too moist, and for the love of god, don't use Sinella curviseta as a clean up crew for small Ectobiids!!! The small, silver springtails you often find in your enclosures are fine, S.curviseta is just too big though and will directly compete with smaller roach species for food and living space.

Whoa, wouldn't have thought a springtail could do that much damage to a roach colony, but I guess if the colony gets large enough it makes sense. Glad you were able to rescue a few ooths and nymphs though! I'll definitely have to look into getting smaller springtail species as a clean up crew, even for the larger species just so I know I'm good to go there. 

• Like 1

On 10/31/2016 at 7:59 PM, pannaking22 said:

Whoa, wouldn't have thought a springtail could do that much damage to a roach colony, but I guess if the colony gets large enough it makes sense. Glad you were able to rescue a few ooths and nymphs though! I'll definitely have to look into getting smaller springtail species as a clean up crew, even for the larger species just so I know I'm good to go there. 

Yeah, there were TONS of springtails in the enclosure, it's crazy how prolific they can be. Yeah, I'm happy I was able to save a few of them, fingers crossed they'll make it to maturity without any problems! :)

Well they don't seem to bother my other roaches, even the medium sized species like Parcoblatta and Pseudomops, they get along just fine. It's just that the Chorisoneura nymphs are so tiny and pretty timid, they don't even try eating the food when the large Sinella curviseta swarm it. For other, bigger roach species they are phenomenal clean up crews, and I highly recommend them, just don't house them with very small or tiny roaches. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hisserdude said:

Yeah, there were TONS of springtails in the enclosure, it's crazy how prolific they can be. Yeah, I'm happy I was able to save a few of them, fingers crossed they'll make it to maturity without any problems! :)

Well they don't seem to bother my other roaches, even the medium sized species like Parcoblatta and Pseudomops, they get along just fine. It's just that the Chorisoneura nymphs are so tiny and pretty timid, they don't even try eating the food when the large Sinella curviseta swarm it. For other, bigger roach species they are phenomenal clean up crews, and I highly recommend them, just don't house them with very small or tiny roaches. 

How small are the nymphs? I've been wanting to get some of the smaller ectobiids, so it'd be good to know if I'm potentially going to have a springtail problem with them as well. 

5 hours ago, pannaking22 said:

How small are the nymphs? I've been wanting to get some of the smaller ectobiids, so it'd be good to know if I'm potentially going to have a springtail problem with them as well. 

About 1½ mm long, pretty tiny, whereas the larger Sinella curviseta can be almost 4 mm long. I have some in with my Cariblatta minima, Balta notulata and Latiblattella rehni, though for some reason they aren't reaching plague proportions like they were in my Chorisoneura enclosure. 

2 minutes ago, pannaking22 said:

Good lord, that is tiny! Must just be something about your texensis enclosure they really like then. 

Yup, that's why I gotta keep them in airtight containers with no ventilation lol, they are tiny!

It may be because of all the dead adult Chorisoneura in the cage, or maybe the excessive moisture, but they really did well in that enclosure.

Well my remaining nymphs aren't doing so hot, I'm afraid I might lose this species completely. :( Very sad right now.

13 hours ago, Hisserdude said:

Well my remaining nymphs aren't doing so hot, I'm afraid I might lose this species completely. :( Very sad right now.

Ah that's a bummer, sorry to hear that! I'm sure you'll be able to get your hands on more in the future though! People should be clamoring to send you some since you've gotten them through one generation before :) The more knowledge about breeding unique native species the better!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pannaking22 said:

Ah that's a bummer, sorry to hear that! I'm sure you'll be able to get your hands on more in the future though! People should be clamoring to send you some since you've gotten them through one generation before :) The more knowledge about breeding unique native species the better!

Yeah, if these guys die then hopefully it won't be too hard to acquire more, at least now I'll know what not to do. :)

4 hours ago, Cariblatta lutea said:

Sorry to hear :( Hope you'll be able to give a shot at breeding them again next year! 

Yeah, me too. Hopefully I'll be able to get them again next year and have better success, this time I'll know not to keep them with any large springtail species. 

• 4 weeks later...

So yeah, these are all dead now. :( Hopefully I'll be able to get some more one day, who knew springtails could be such pests? 

Ah man, sorry to hear! :( If nothing else, this gives the hobby new info on how springtails can detrimentally interact with small species of roaches. I don't think anyone would have given that any thought since springtails do such a good job cleaning enclosures. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/5/2016 at 8:53 AM, pannaking22 said:

Ah man, sorry to hear! :( If nothing else, this gives the hobby new info on how springtails can detrimentally interact with small species of roaches. I don't think anyone would have given that any thought since springtails do such a good job cleaning enclosures. 

Indeed, it really surprised me how the springtails were affecting these guys, too bad I only noticed it when it was already too late. :( I'll probably get some more next year once I move, hopefully then I'll be more successful with them, definitely won't be putting any springtails in with them, that's for sure!

• 5 months later...

Trying to breed this species again thanks to @Cariblatta lutea, he sent me an adult pair in his last package to me, hopefully I'll be successful in breeding this AL strain! :) 

Adult male:

C.texensis%25231.JPG

C.texensis%25232.JPG