Hemiblabera tenebricosa

Hisserdude

Yes these guys are pretty cool roaches, very nice for handling too! (Though I find their legs to be a bit on the spiny side). No problem, I love sharing pictures of my roaches! :)

• 3 months later...

Some more pictures of this species:

Male

H.teneb%252316.JPG

H.teneb%252317.JPG

H.teneb%252318.JPG

Female

H.teneb%252319.JPG

H.teneb%252321.JPG

H.teneb%252322.JPG

Nymph

H.teneb%252324.JPG

H.teneb%252325.JPG

H.teneb%252327.JPG

And here's their setup:

H.tenebcage%25232.JPG

Hope you guys enjoy! :)

Nice! Do they eat the carrot? I have not tried it with mine. Is the soda bottle cap for placing dry kibble dog food in? If so, have you noticed it helps with grain mite outbreaks versus just putting the kibble directly on the substrate? Thanks! :)

Thanks! :) They nibble on the carrot, but they don't seem to love it compared to other roaches. I just have it in there as a backup food source, and to vary the diet a bit.

Yes, the cap is for dog food, and it does help a bit to keep the mites under control, though they get in the food bowl anyway. Luckily I have soil mites, not grain mites, so they don't adhere to the roaches or anything. It's really more to prevent crazy mold growth, when the food is on the substrate and molds the mold gathers a big clump of substrate, and makes a big mess of things. When it molds in the bowl, the mold grows upwards, not downwards, if you know what I mean.

Hope this helps! :)

Thanks! :) They nibble on the carrot, but they don't seem to love it compared to other roaches. I just have it in there as a backup food source, and to vary the diet a bit.

Yes, the cap is for dog food, and it does help a bit to keep the mites under control, though they get in the food bowl anyway. Luckily I have soil mites, not grain mites, so they don't adhere to the roaches or anything. It's really more to prevent crazy mold growth, when the food is on the substrate and molds the mold gathers a big clump of substrate, and makes a big mess of things. When it molds in the bowl, the mold grows upwards, not downwards, if you know what I mean.

Hope this helps! :)

Ok. That makes sense. I have just started doing this (a few weeks ago) in three of my colonies and I was curious to see if it was worth the trouble. I am glad to know that it is beneficial. Thanks again!

Edit: Again, I need to point out that these roaches are SO underrated. :) They are one of my all time favorite roaches. :)

Ok. That makes sense. I have just started doing this (a few weeks ago) in three of my colonies and I was curious to see if it was worth the trouble. I am glad to know that it is beneficial. Thanks again!

Edit: Again, I need to point out that these roaches are SO underrated. :) They are one of my all time favorite roaches. :)

Yeah, using food bowls is a good idea, if only for the mold.

And I agree, they are very underrated, these guys make great pet roaches! :D

LIKE* :)

*Mods: Gotta get that "Like This" button fixed. :)

Haha yeah, I really wish you could actually "like" posts. This forum along with beetle forum should be getting a software update soon according to Peter, so we should be able to like posts very soon!

• 2 months later...

Here are a couple of pictures of a mating pair, this is a pretty rare sight, these guys are really shy and I've never caught them mating before. The male is on the right.

H.tenebmating%25231.JPG

H.tenebmating%25232.JPG