Hi from Louisiana

7tisix

Hello all,

I'm Thomas from Louisiana. In the past I've have Mantids and an Emporer Scorpion named Fluffy. I've had Snickers (Male Madagascar Hisser) since April and just decided to pickup a few more pets. I'm learning quite a bit from the forums, so I appreciate them a lot. Nolan, my seven year old, wants one too. Any sugestions on a species for a kid?

Best regards,

Thomas F

A hisser would be fine. There's a bunch of snazzy new hisser species to choose from these days, so you can show him pictures of them so he can decide which species he likes the best. Archimandritia tesselata, blaberus craniifer, blaberus fusca, and eublaberus sp. are also good species which have wings and can't climb smooth surfaces like hissers.

This questions is so commonly asked by everyone. There is no perfect beginner roach. Do some research. Come up with a list of roaches your son might enjoy. Let him decide based on the pros/cons of each individual species.

Perhaps because most roaches are perfect beginner roaches? Keeping roaches isn't that hard lol

Welcome to the forum! :) I kept mantids before too( some phyllocrania paradoxa, a rhombodera valida, a couple popa spurca, a deroplatys dessicata, and a couple wild tenodera sinensis) I never had much success with them so now I'm keeping mostly beetles and roaches(they are way easier to keep for me) , although I may try to keep them again in the future. I've never kept an emperor but they look very cool from the pictures and videos I've saw of them on the internet.

Hope you find a good roach for your son, all the hisser species are easy to keep( except for Elliptorhina davidi, which I've heard is a bit tricky to keep), but then again most roach species are very easy to keep with the right conditions.