Water crystals

So I typically keep water crystals with my roaches as a back up. They normally dry up cause they just suck on them some. How ever I added some to my lateralis and they actually ate all of them. So now im concerned is there any risk if they eat this polymer? Im thinking im just going to have to be mor dilligent in giving them veggies. Should I not offer these to the lateralis now that I know they eat them?

I'm not sure about the water crystals but a lot of keepers do just offer a lot of fruits and vegetables without any problems, but if you do this I think you would pretty much have to have some available to them at all times. You could always just use a very shallow water dish with something in the water so they could get out very easy.

I use quarium gravel in my water dishes. No drowning yet. But I have never seen any use it. I probably will use water crystals as a vacation thing.

Im not a fan of water crystals. I usually just throw some fruit or veggies in there once or twice a week. If not that I will spray/mist or just pour a little bit of water in one corner. I used water crystals before and they dried up too fast, then every time I added water it increased the humidity and the roaches swelled. This was for E.Javanica by the way. I had a tone of trouble with that colony and the only thing that made sense was the water crystals, any change in humidity and some of the roaches would die off looking like they were going to explode. Now I just do veggies and add water to the corner, there are a few species that I leave a water dish but its more for humidity.

Oh god that sounds horrorifying the idea of them swelling from water crystals. Like seagulls and alkizelzer :shudders: I have been useing them because my roaches are ravenous I go threw about a pound of veggi scraps a day. I have actually started juicing melons every other day to feed them the rinds and pulp. Who knew keeping roaches would lead to better health habits lol