Seeding Isopod Colonies With Wild Collected Individuals

Tenevanica

I've been interested in culturing isopods for quite some time now, and as I look through the numerous offerings for isopods through the internet, I think about all the isopods I find on my property during the warmer months. The weather is warming up, so isopods are becoming common again. Instead of buying them through the internet, why don't I just collect some from outside? Are there any inherent problems with doing it this way? Obviously I'd wait a few generations before using them as janitors or feeders, and I don't use pesticides on my property.

Thanks!

Almost all of my isopod colonies have been started with individuals I caught myself, so I say go for it! :D

Wild caught should be safe. I would take a count of the adults and move them into new containers every 3 months or so that way you always know where your wild caught ones are vs your new captive colony. Like you said with no pesticides you should be totally safe. I dont think they carry nematodes or parasites so useing as feeders would be fine. My colony came from an old bag of compost a friend gave me it was totally sealed they are harty lil critters.