Missing Isopods and Springtails

Hi guys! :)

I'm a bit worried because I got some springtails and dwarf purple isopods last week as the clean up crew for my E.lixa colony and I do not see any on the substrate.

I started not seeing them after I mixed up the substrate. Could I have killed them or could they just be spending their time under the substrate? If I remember correctly though the dwarf purples aren't supposed to stay under the substrate and like to spend their time on the surface of the substrate.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Low humidity would be the primary cause of a die off, but there's a chance that they found some little crevices to hide in and won't be easily found. I've had that issue with springtails before and it turns out they just have a sweet little hiding spot I was missing.

Low humidity would be the primary cause of a die off, but there's a chance that they found some little crevices to hide in and won't be easily found. I've had that issue with springtails before and it turns out they just have a sweet little hiding spot I was missing.

How dry is it?

My substrate is always pretty moist, there is a couple holes for ventilation on each side. I usually spray the substrate every 2 days because that is when the top of the substrate starts losing it's moisture. Anytime I open it and put my hand to the bottom it's usually always humid enough to where if my hand is an inch or two away from the substrate I can feel some humidity in the air. The top may sometimes get slightly dry but underneath the substrate it never gets dry and even if it gets a little dry on top it is never like that for more than 24 hours before I mist it.

There isn't really anywhere for the springtails to hide because all I have in the container is about 2 inches of substrate and then a couple egg cartons. I did only get 30 springtails though so they might be able to hide easily. Just though it was weird that all my isopods and springtails kind of dissapeared, after I mixed up the substrate but that was about 5 days ago, so if they got mixed under the substrate I'm thinking they should have came back up by now. I don't think they would have died because of lack of moisture because as I said it's always pretty much moist and I usually spray the sides a little too so it is always humid it there.

Huh that's weird. Sounds like your conditions are pretty darn good for your cleanup crew. I would give them a bit more time to settle in and maybe reproduce before worrying too much about it. Do you know if E. lixa would eat them for whatever reason?