Therea olegrandjeani

Wow, I can't believe I haven't posted pics of this species on this forum! I've had them for over a year now, and they have reproduced prolifically for me! :D

Female:

Thereaole%25238.JPG

Thereaole%252311.JPG

"Irregular" Male:

Thereaole%25239.JPG

Thereaole%252310.JPG

Nymphs:

Thereaole%231.JPG

Thereaole%232.JPG

Beautiful. Can't wait for mine to mature. Roughly how long would you say it takes them to go from a small nymph to adult?

Well let's put it this way, I got 8 nymphs from Peter over a year ago, and only three of them matured. The others are still nymphs, and they aren't even half grown yet. <_< And they weren't even tiny nymphs when I got them!

Well let's put it this way, I got 8 nymphs from Peter over a year ago, and only three of them matured. The others are still nymphs, and they aren't even half grown yet. <_< And they weren't even tiny nymphs when I got them!

I see! Wow. Well, their beauty surely makes up for the long wait :)

I see! Wow. Well, their beauty surely makes up for the long wait :)

Yup, it sure does! Too bad the adult are so short lived though.

Love the colors on fresh adults!

Yeah, once they get older the colors fade a bit, when they are still fresh adults they are stunning! :)

How do you guys keep these? I had a great colony but it is dying out. :(

I keep them at 75 F with a 2 inch deep coir substrate. I only moisten one end. I have hardwood leaves in it. I feed them dry kibble dogfood and apple. Maybe the substrate needs to be moist everywhere? Maybe the ootheca have dried out because the substrate is too dry? Any suggestions? :) Thanks!

How do you guys keep these? I had a great colony but it is dying out. :(

I keep them at 75 F with a 2 inch deep coir substrate. I only moisten one end. I have hardwood leaves in it. I feed them dry kibble dogfood and apple. Maybe the substrate needs to be moist everywhere? Maybe the ootheca have dried out because the substrate is too dry? Any suggestions? :) Thanks!

That's pretty much how I keep mine, my whole substrate is moist at the bottom and dry at the top, that's how this species likes it. Are nymphs dying as well? If so I really don't know why they are dying, your setup sounds pretty good. Ootheca can take a long time to hatch, so maybe they have yet to hatch.

That's pretty much how I keep mine, my whole substrate is moist at the bottom and dry at the top, that's how this species likes it. Are nymphs dying as well? If so I really don't know why they are dying, your setup sounds pretty good. Ootheca can take a long time to hatch, so maybe they have yet to hatch.

Thanks! OK. I am keeping them correctly. It has been a while (over 6 months) since I have seen babies. Hopefully the will hatch out pretty soon. :)

Awesome roaches and glad to see you got some adults! Mine just sort of stalled on me and all I have is one ooth now. Fingers crossed it's good and I get them reproducing like my T. petiveriana!

Thanks! OK. I am keeping them correctly. It has been a while (over 6 months) since I have seen babies. Hopefully the will hatch out pretty soon. :)

Yeah, hopefully the ootheca are fertile!!

Awesome roaches and glad to see you got some adults! Mine just sort of stalled on me and all I have is one ooth now. Fingers crossed it's good and I get them reproducing like my T. petiveriana!

Yeah, that was a while ago, all my adults are dead now, but at least I got a bunch of babies from them. That's weird that yours only laid one ootheca, hope it hatches for you!

Yeah, that was a while ago, all my adults are dead now, but at least I got a bunch of babies from them. That's weird that yours only laid one ootheca, hope it hatches for you!

I admit I only had a handful of roaches, but there were at least two females so I would have thought there would be lots more ooths. Oh well, we'll see what happens!

Well I only had two females and they laid a ton of ooths, perhaps they are hidden in the substrate? Mine hid their ooths very well in the substrate, and they were very hard to find. For a time I only thought I had like 5 eggcases, turns out I was way off! Perhaps a little digging session may turn up a few more ootheca?

• 2 weeks later...

So I have a lid with many holes to keep the adults of this species in. I also have a moist substrate with hardwood leaves but the leaves are starting to mold. Is this a problem? Does anyone keep isopods with this species or will the isopods eat the ootheca? I am increasingly loving roaches that do NOT release their ootheca. :)

So I have a lid with many holes to keep the adults of this species in. I also have a moist substrate with hardwood leaves but the leaves are starting to mold. Is this a problem? Does anyone keep isopods with this species or will the isopods eat the ootheca? I am increasingly loving roaches that do NOT release their ootheca. :)

Probably not a problem, unless it is really fluffy mold that hinders their movement. I wouldn't keep isopods with these, I've heard that isos will eat ootheca sometimes. I agree, live bearers seem easier to get breeding. :)

Probably not a problem, unless it is really fluffy mold that hinders their movement. I wouldn't keep isopods with these, I've heard that isos will eat ootheca sometimes. I agree, live bearers seem easier to get breeding. :)

OK. The mold is very minimal. Ya, I figured the isopods could potentially damage the ootheca. Thanks!

OK. The mold is very minimal. Ya, I figured the isopods could potentially damage the ootheca. Thanks!

Shouldn't be a problem then, if anything it probably adds nutrients to the leaves. :)

• 3 months later...

The rest of the nymphs I ordered from Peter over a year ago have finally matured into three females and two males! :)

Here are a couple of pictures:

T.ole%25231.JPG

T.ole%25232.JPG