Love this roach thing!

So I have had many animals over the years. This roach hobby is super fun. Every day deciding what's on the menu. Refreshing water. Retouching vasoline. Culling for feeders from my lobsters. Misting. Cleaning my humid feeder dishes. Plus hours of time can be spent watching their behavior.

So I have had many animals over the years. This roach hobby is super fun. Every day deciding what's on the menu. Refreshing water. Retouching vasoline. Culling for feeders from my lobsters. Misting. Cleaning my humid feeder dishes. Plus hours of time can be spent watching their behavior.

Yeah, of all the bugs I've kept, roaches are by far the most fun and interesting to me! Glad you are enjoying the hobby! :D

Agreed. I keep many different invertebrates, and I've only recently become fascinated by roaches, through using feeders. Now I find myself having trouble feeding anything but dubia and lats to my collection, despite the fact that I've started several other colonies. I spend as much time messing with my roaches as i do my spiders and scorpions :)

Yep, keeping roaches is really fun especially when you have colonies! Although I'd have to say that mantids have been my favorite insects of anything I have kept because of the excitement during feeding, they are way easier to handle, they almost have little personalities, and the largeness of a lot of them, but they do require a lot more maintenance than roaches and are definitely harder to keep. Roaches would be a very, very close number 2 in my opinion because they can be kept in colonies, are generaly easy to keep, but are also not that good for handling and mine often nip me when I hold them.

Apparently theres a few species that bite. None of mine have ever bitten me. My Surinam try to burrow between my fingers, they push really hard and make me laugh. Strong little guys. And I had a female portentosa latch on to my finger with all her legs and hug tightly for a few minutes. I think she was scared to death. She eventually let go and went back in her enclosure. Thought id need the jaws of life..

Apparently theres a few species that bite. None of mine have ever bitten me. My Surinam try to burrow between my fingers, they push really hard and make me laugh. Strong little guys. And I had a female portentosa latch on to my finger with all her legs and hug tightly for a few minutes. I think she was scared to death. She eventually let go and went back in her enclosure. Thought id need the jaws of life..

Lol yeah my Surinams do that too, as well as a few of my other burrowing roaches. :D

Your roaches nip u?

Yep, my E.decipiens and E.lixa bite me, the decipiens don't that much but whenever I hold the lixa I can plan to get some nice bites, they can chew though my skin a little but they've never drawn blood. I'm not sure why they do it though, I never have anything on my hands when I hold them but they just start chewing! My other roaches have never bit me though.

• 3 weeks later...

I am looking forward to the care of several colonies in the near future as well. Currently have just Dubias, and even though I have them as feeders, I've always thought they are fascinating - looking forward to having some more "pet" varieties.