Small Ectobiidae Housing

pannaking22

Out of curiosity, could people share descriptions/photos of some of their ectobiid enclosures? I'm looking more at small species that are phenomenal climbers and on the smaller side. Wanting to get more of the small species, but I want to avoid having any escapees that end up dying (no pest species, though other Blatella can be kept). 

This is my Chorisoneura texensis cage, this is what I kept them in before I moved them to their larger cage with all the springtails, and this is where my remaining oothecae and nymphs are right now:

Chorisoneuracage%25231.JPG

Chorisoneuracage%25232.JPG

There are no ventilation holes, and I feed and mist the cage through a hole I made in the side that is plugged up by a piece of sponge, since opening the lid is not an option as the nymphs like to rest there. :blink:

Here's my Cariblatta lutea cage, (I'm using the exact container type and general setup for my Balta notulata and my Latiblattella rheni):

C.minimaCage1_zpsjxvplnfe.jpg

C.minimaCage2_zpsy3gtndzy.jpg

C.minimaCage3_zpsj5fgk0yb.jpg

C.minimaCage4_zps8btaktab.jpg

• Like 2

Ah man, that's a great setup! Definitely going to have to do that with a couple containers then to make it easier with those species. One of the largest problems I had while keeping B. asahinai and B. nipponica was the nymphs would keep escaping because they were at the top. I had some paper towel screwed between the lid and enclosure to let a little bit of air in, but then they would somehow work their way into the paper towel. 

Do you ever have any issues with the sponge molding? Is the sponge undyed or chemical free or whatever they call it nowadays? 

2 hours ago, pannaking22 said:

Ah man, that's a great setup! Definitely going to have to do that with a couple containers then to make it easier with those species. One of the largest problems I had while keeping B. asahinai and B. nipponica was the nymphs would keep escaping because they were at the top. I had some paper towel screwed between the lid and enclosure to let a little bit of air in, but then they would somehow work their way into the paper towel. 

Do you ever have any issues with the sponge molding? Is the sponge undyed or chemical free or whatever they call it nowadays? 

Yeah, I was having the same problem with the Chorisoneura which is why I started using this method to avoid opening the lid.

No, mold from the food bowel sometimes will attach to the sponge but the sponge itself never molds. I honestly don't know, I just grabbed a big sponge from WalMart by all the car cleaning stuff, I assume it's chemical free, at least I hope so...

1 hour ago, Hisserdude said:

Yeah, I was having the same problem with the Chorisoneura which is why I started using this method to avoid opening the lid.

No, mold from the food bowel sometimes will attach to the sponge but the sponge itself never molds. I honestly don't know, I just grabbed a big sponge from WalMart by all the car cleaning stuff, I assume it's chemical free, at least I hope so...

Well I'd say if you haven't had any issues with it yet it's probably fine. It might be getting enough ventilation going through it as is that mold can't grow on it, which is definitely a good thing. 

• 2 weeks later...

That is a great setup you've devised. I actually use the exact same containers as you keep your C. texensis in. I'm stealing the sponge idea!

• Like 1