From feeders to pets, suggestions?

I first started into roaches with feeders for my pacman frogs. Suprisingly, they didn't like them and they all died but one. The roaches remained. I have decided I have enjoyed my roaches more than any pet I have had. So it's time to branch into the pet roach category. Any suggestions out there and why? I currently have E. Javanica and E. "Pantanal".

My D. paulinoi spend a lot of their time out and about, even the nymphs. Seem to be easy to care for too if you're patient. Therea sp. would be great, but you have to wait a long long time to have a large enough colony to always have adults out all the time. Otherwise you have a box of substrate with adults popping out from time to to time, which is really neat in its own right. I can't speak for E. decipiens since I haven't kept that species before.

Two of my favorites have been Gyna lurida and G. caffrorum. The adults are frequently out and sitting on the decorations and any food you throw in results in a feeding frenzy. The only issue you can have with them is that adults are very flighty. I've been finding that P. couloniana are super active as well and spend all their time running around in their enclosure, but I'm not sure if they have all that unique a look to them. 

My E.decipiens are always active and walking around on the walls of their enclosure. They are also probably one of the most visually stunning species in the hobby! Although, when keeping this species, you need a container with a sealed lid( such as the Sterilite gasket box containers)since they are one of the best climbing species in the hobby. 

Some of my favorite pet roaches are the Blaberus species, especially B.atropos and B.sp "Venezuela". They are decent sized, easy to handle roaches that are really easy to care for. :)

Therea are really nice, but they take forever to mature, Deropeltis probably make great display species and they have been high on my wishlist for a while, and Eurycotis decipiens would make a great display species as well. Pseudomops septentrionalis are another good display species, the adults are day active and are very prolific, so it wouldn't take too long to have tons of adults in the enclosure at any given time. 

Thanks a lot guys. Very good suggestions. I think the deropeltis are so neat because they seem very unroachy. Satin sheen instead of glossy, the male wings look fake. Plus don't they have a unique defensive smell and they ball up together to make it smell stronger? With the E. Decipiens climbing though, not a big fan. I still am finding lobster roaches. 

19 minutes ago, Matttoadman said:

With the E. Decipiens climbing though, not a big fan. I still am finding lobster roaches. 

Well the D.paulinoi climb as well, most likely not quite as good as the E.decipiens though.

The zebras also are much more sensitive to their condition than the lobsters, so they would likely perish quickly even if a few were to get out.

On 11/19/2016 at 6:33 PM, Matttoadman said:

Thanks a lot guys. Very good suggestions. I think the deropeltis are so neat because they seem very unroachy. Satin sheen instead of glossy, the male wings look fake. Plus don't they have a unique defensive smell and they ball up together to make it smell stronger? With the E. Decipiens climbing though, not a big fan. I still am finding lobster roaches. 

D. paulinoi can climb, but they aren't too likely to do it once they get settled, though they're quick so they'll just shoot up the wall. I can vouch for the smell though, once you annoy/frighten them it's a heck of an odor. Haven't seen them ball up together to make it stronger and I hope I never do lol.