Drymaplaneta semivitta (Gisborne Cockroach)

Hisserdude

I received 5 oothecae of this beautiful and rare species in the mail a few weeks ago, and one of them hatched last night into twelve cute little nymphs! :D Here are some pictures of them!

Oothecae:

D.semivittaOoth%25231.JPG

D.semivittaOoth%25232.JPG

Nymphs:

D.semivitta%25231.JPG

D.semivitta%25232.JPG

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pannaking22 said:

Congrats, awesome to see that species has made it stateside! 

Thanks, hopefully I'll be able to establish them in culture here in the US, I hear they can be challenging to maintain over multiple generations.

1 hour ago, charzard said:

Wow, very awesome!!

Thanks! :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, charzard said:

How exciting!!

Indeed, considering this species was until very recently virtually nonexistent in the US hobby! Really hope they'll do well for me! :D

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, lovebugfarm said:

Ohhh these guys are cool :)

Yeah, really cool, hope they do well for me! :D

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, histrio said:

always good with them ? the adults are very beautifull...

Well I've had a few casualties, I accidentally smashed a couple with their own hides, and a couple more have dropped dead for no reason... But the majority of them seem to be OK. :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, histrio said:

happy to read that ... I'm always waiting for the hatching of my 3 ooths... 2 others had rotten...

Two of my ooths were pretty much duds as well, they only produced 3-4 nymphs each, the rest all rotted... Hope your ooths hatch soon! :)

• Like 1

Just now, histrio said:

just 3-4 nymph by ooth :o

Well in those rotten ones, yes, but in normal, healthy oothecae, you typically get about 12 nymphs per ooth. :)

1 minute ago, histrio said:

ok...I'm trying with less humidity..i suppose that' s the reason why i lost these 2 ooths....

Yeah, they like it rather humid, they really need good ventilation though, humid, stagnant air kills them rapidly apparently.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Down to 7 nymphs, but I moved them to a new enclosure, and they seem to be be doing WAY better! Apparently this species HATES high humidity, contrary to what most sources say, however, note that those sources never had much success keeping this species, whereas the few people who have kept this species really dry have had great success breeding this species for multiple generations! 

Here is their current enclosure:

DrymaplanetaCage2%25231.JPG

No substrate, just some dead leaves covering the floor. The enclosure is completely dry except for the water bowl, (the container with the gauze in it), and I don't mist it at all. I basically tried to mimic the enclosure on this site the best I could, and made a few adjustments. 

Here is one of the nymphs:

Drymaplaneta%252315.JPG

i think too that's good conditions ... my adults fix the ooths near the ventilation and on the ventilation....and at night, all the babies hang on the air vents of the lid ...

hope that yours stay alive and become adults and give an another generation ...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, histrio said:

i think too that's good conditions ... my adults fix the ooths near the ventilation and on the ventilation....and at night, all the babies hang on the air vents of the lid ...

hope that yours stay alive and become adults and give an another generation ...

Yeah, they seem to like it dry and well ventilated, so hopefully my nymphs will make it to adulthood and lay lots of ooths! :D My nymphs are all getting pretty large, I think in a couple months they should reach maturity! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Tleilaxu said:

More updates.

Not too much new developments with these, other than the fact that I probably have some subadults or pre-subs already!! :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • Hisserdude changed the title to Drymaplaneta semivitta (Gisborne Cockroach)