Jump to content

Panchlora sp. "Speckled"


Hisserdude
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just got a trio of males and two females of this beautiful new species from Gil Wizen, he collected them in Ecuador last year. :) The adult males are light green, and the females have a very unusual coloration, a white-ish color with a light green tint to it, both sexes have tiny white speckles all over, and a few small black spots towards the end of the tegmina, similar to Panchlora sp. "White". Unfortunately it is quite difficult to capture the unusual coloration of the females on camera, my camera makes them look mostly light green or white.

Males

PanchloraSpeckled%25231.JPG

PanchloraSpeckled%25232.JPG

PanchloraSpeckled%25234.JPG

PanchloraSpeckled%25236.JPG

Female

PanchloraSpeckled%25238.JPG

PanchloraSpeckled%25239.JPG

Male and female

PanchloraSpeckled%252310.JPG

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have to say that figuring out the females' color is a little tricky with this species. The left female in Hisserdude's last photo represents the color faithfully. However, there is a bit of an optical illusion here because of the light in the photo, and the female looks too pale. To see what I mean, tilt your head to the right (like you would do when reading the title of book sitting on your shelf). The female will look slightly more metallic green. That's the right color.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, talace said:

Those are to kool

I know, they are great! :D

16 hours ago, wizentrop said:

I have to say that figuring out the females' color is a little tricky with this species. The left female in Hisserdude's last photo represents the color faithfully. However, there is a bit of an optical illusion here because of the light in the photo, and the female looks too pale. To see what I mean, tilt your head to the right (like you would do when reading the title of book sitting on your shelf). The female will look slightly more metallic green. That's the right color.

Yeah, the flash on my digital camera is really annoying, no way to adjust it either, really distorts their color most of the time. I tried getting photos of them in sunlight but they would not stay still... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
8 hours ago, hymenopus said:

That's a very nice looking roach:D

Yeah, they are much better looking in person, these pictures don't do them justice! :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, dactylus said:

Very cool.  I had just sent you a PM about these before seeing this!

Congratulations!!!

:)

Thanks! :) Hopefully I'll have some available later in the year, if they end up being prolific for me! (And they are supposed to be really prolific!).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi - I just sent you a friend request on Facebook.  I am David Lawrence on FB.

Nice to hear that you found P. saussurei babies!  I'd love to pick up some of those from you too if you have surplus in the Fall of 2017!

David

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, dactylus said:

Hi - I just sent you a friend request on Facebook.  I am David Lawrence on FB.

Nice to hear that you found P. saussurei babies!  I'd love to pick up some of those from you too if you have surplus in the Fall of 2017!

David

Accepted your request! ;)

Thanks! Hopefully I'll have some available by fall, my females certainly seem to be laying a decent amount of oothecae! :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Andee said:

Do you have a good idea on how large these guys are? Closer to the P. Niv (giants?) or P.Nivea 

They are bigger than nivea but slightly smaller than the giants, so somewhere in between. Here's a comparison thread, so you can see how big they are compared to the nivea: 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks! that is great to see all the sizes together like that. I have been trying to decide which to get as a feeder so it's been annoying trying to decide between color or size... would you say (since I know pictures screw up colors so bad) that the speckled strain is relatively green compared to the whites?

And don't worry my feeders and etc, are spoiled to the high heavens. They may be fed off in the end but they are all living creatures <3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Andee said:

Thanks! that is great to see all the sizes together like that. I have been trying to decide which to get as a feeder so it's been annoying trying to decide between color or size... would you say (since I know pictures screw up colors so bad) that the speckled strain is relatively green compared to the whites?

And don't worry my feeders and etc, are spoiled to the high heavens. They may be fed off in the end but they are all living creatures <3

This species is supposed to be extremely prolific, way more so than nivea, so these will definitely make the better feeders. :) Males are pretty green, the females are more of a pallid greenish-white color that's really hard to describe or capture in a photo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Andee said:

Alright cool, will have to grab some soon! Thanks so much guys ^^

No problem, happy to help! :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2017-6-18 at 5:55 PM, dactylus said:

Nice to hear that you found P. saussurei babies!  I'd love to pick up some of those from you too if you have surplus in the Fall of 2017!

 

On 2017-6-18 at 8:48 PM, Hisserdude said:

Thanks! Hopefully I'll have some available by fall, my females certainly seem to be laying a decent amount of oothecae! :)

Flippin' Atlantic. <_< These look great in the photos - I wouldn't mind seeing some in the flesh to get the full impression! Wonder if they'll make it to the UK somewhere down the road.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, WarrenB said:

Flippin' Atlantic. <_< These look great in the photos - I wouldn't mind seeing some in the flesh to get the full impression! Wonder if they'll make it to the UK somewhere down the road.

Polyphaga saussurei are being bred in the UK, in fact I think you can buy some from ZOO CENTRE on eBay, they are based in the UK. ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, WarrenB said:

Ah, I meant the speckled roaches. Sorry! I saw the P in P. saussurei, put two and two together, and came up with five. It's hot here today. My brain's cooked...

Ah, I understand lol! :lol: Well, @wizentrop ships internationally I believe, not just to the US... ;) (At least I think so, I saw him post FS ads last year on BugNation after all...)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...