Jump to content

URGENT! Moving in less than 24 hours.


Recommended Posts

@Hisserdude @Cariblatta lutea

As the title says I'm moving very shortly, I'm going to bring the roaches with me, my question, is mixing all three species in a container going to work, I'm planning on overnight shipping.

I know it's not professional but I'm short on time and containers. Prompt replies are appreciated. Also will using paper towels work, I lack egg crate.

Hopefully I can document this....

Link to post
Share on other sites

It'll be OK just for overnight shipping, be sure to give them a LOT of ventilation and make sure the container they are shipped in has a good amount of padding in for them, (preferably damp, but not wet paper towels), don't want them to get jostled around a lot! You also don't want to pack them too tightly either though!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Hisserdude said:

It'll be OK just for overnight shipping, be sure to give them a LOT of ventilation and make sure the container they are shipped in has a good amount of padding in for them, (preferably damp, but not wet paper towels), don't want them to get jostled around a lot! You also don't want to pack them too tightly either though!

Crap I only gave them around seven airholes, much like their containers. They have dry paper towels as well, though given the 68 percent humidity levels along with them all is sure to moisten them. I gave them one piece of dog food.

It's too late to unpack them. I thought it would be the same or similar to shipping scorpions, well given the fact these species are extremely hardy may work in my favor. :(

Next blog post: "How to easily kill your Periplaneta." 

Edited by Tleilaxu
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yikes, well I hope they survive, in the summer, good ventilation is very important for most species, maybe they'll survive though, it's only overnight shipping after all.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if it will make a difference or not but each hole is the diameter of a large Philips screwdriver, and there is both a thin crack on the cover and bottom of the container....

@Hisserdude on my blog you can see the container size and amount being shipped, along with the airholes and crack in the cage.

Edited by Tleilaxu
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, that's not a lot of ventilation at all, don't know how they'll fare. :( Keep us updated, with any luck they'll arrive OK, it's only overnight shipping after all. Where are you moving BTW, still in FL or somewhere where it's legal to keep exotic roaches? :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hisserdude said:

Yeah, that's not a lot of ventilation at all, don't know how they'll fare. :( Keep us updated, with any luck they'll arrive OK, it's only overnight shipping after all. Where are you moving BTW, still in FL or somewhere where it's legal to keep exotic roaches? :)

I've decided to gamble, I unpacked everything, possibly compromising the box and epic tape and packing job, and put a lot more airholes into the lid, to the point the lid is flimsy, and some of the holes maybe large enough for the smallest of my current nymphs to go through, but having just checked on them they all seemed pretty chill, having them under an actual vent helps. As a bonus I managed to catch one more mid sized female americana nymph.

I'm moving back to Minnesota so exotic roaches will be open to me, however I just can't ditch my first roaches.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Tleilaxu said:

I've decided to gamble, I unpacked everything, possibly compromising the box and epic tape and packing job, and put a lot more airholes into the lid, to the point the lid is flimsy, and some of the holes maybe large enough for the smallest of my current nymphs to go through, but having just checked on them they all seemed pretty chill, having them under an actual vent helps. As a bonus I managed to catch one more mid sized female americana nymph.

I'm moving back to Minnesota so exotic roaches will be open to me, however I just can't ditch my first roaches.

Good, hopefully now the ventilation will be more suitable, really hope they get there OK! :)

Yay, now you get to expand your roach horizons even more!! :D #DeropeltisForTleilaxu!!! :P

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Tleilaxu said:

Well roaches did not show up when they were supposed to.... :(

Fortunately the weather is much cooler than in Florida...

Man, USPS messes everything up. :( Hope they get there OK!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dactylus said:

I HATE shipping by USPS!!  I can't say that enough...

Yeah, USPS is kind of a shoddy service, luckily though, if packed properly, it can be hard to kill roaches in shipping. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tleilaxu said:

@dactylus @Hisserdude the hour of wreckoning is approaching, if the fools stick to their word, they should arrive within a hour....

Two hours later...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tleilaxu said:

It's going to be another 48 hours later.

RIP roaches, I'm sure the scorpion will be fine.

#NoMorePeriplanetaForTleilaxu

Wow, see, that's why I don't bother with express shipping when buying bugs from people, it can take just as long as priority, so why bother? Hopefully they'll get there safely, they are two pretty hardy genera of roaches...

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tleilaxu said:

I paid 50.00 bucks too what a pos preformance. 

#mostexpensiveperiplanetaever

Yikes, $50!? What a waste man! They better get there OK!

Link to post
Share on other sites

That really sucks... I had hoped they arrived by now. 
Every time I watch this topic, their arrival seems to be farther off :( 
Let's hope they reside at a cool place somewhere in a pack house...

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Hisserdude said:

Wow, see, that's why I don't bother with express shipping when buying bugs from people, it can take just as long as priority, so why bother? Hopefully they'll get there safely, they are two pretty hardy genera of roaches...

I bet that the animals make it, even though USPS totally dropped the ball, again!!  That is why I NEVER use the USPS for shipping live animals unless the sender insists on it.  FedEx is my shipper of choice.  Yes, FedEx will cost you more, but FedEx is a lot more responsive to tracking items down and they have never screwed up any shipments of mine up to this point in time.  Does FedEx make mistakes too?  Sure they do, but they seem to make less mistakes than both the USPS and UPS.  YMMV.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think even with the extra delay they should be fine. Roaches are pretty hardy shippers and since the temps up north are cooler now that'll work in your favor. I had USPS lose a box of live stock for about a week in early January and I think I only had one spider kick it. All the other spiders and the roaches were totally find once I put them near the fire to warm up. Of course it's summer now so temps and inverts are less forgiving, but I'd still be at least fairly confident, especially since you gave them plenty of ventilation and it sounds like they got a good packing job as well. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, dactylus said:

I bet that the animals make it, even though USPS totally dropped the ball, again!!  That is why I NEVER use the USPS for shipping live animals unless the sender insists on it.  FedEx is my shipper of choice.  Yes, FedEx will cost you more, but FedEx is a lot more responsive to tracking items down and they have never screwed up any shipments of mine up to this point in time.  Does FedEx make mistakes too?  Sure they do, but they seem to make less mistakes than both the USPS and UPS.  YMMV.

I mean yeah, USPS does make quite a few mistakes, but I've never had any DOAs as a result of them being late with delivery. Roaches in particular are very hardy, and as long as they are packed well, have adequate moisture and ventilation available, it's hard to kill them. ;)

I've used USPS for everything I've ever shipped put or received, and I've only had one major DOA before, and it wasn't even the fault of the USPS, (they were heat sensitive isopods and the receiver's temperatures took a sudden rise to the 100s when it was only supposed to be in the 70-80s the whole week, I shipped a replacement group the next week and they got there OK). 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...