Vasoline vs. silicone

My experiences with roach barriers: 

* Vasiline: Works, but gets messy with higher temperatures. 
Roaches don't like to walk over. 

* Silicone: I have the feeling that it's more 'sticky' and works better. It also keeps its consistency with higher temperatures. 
Roaches don't like to walk over. 

* Teflon grease: No experience with...

* Fluon paint (teflon /PTFE suspension): This is a milky like water based fluid with teflon particles. I use it diluted and paint it on the top of enclosures. It works very well, but after a while it get's a kind if dirty and effectivity decreases. So I need to repaint it every few weeks (just put it on a cotton and swap it over). 
Roaches cannot walk over as they cannot get a grip on the surface. But small nymphs of good climbers tend to be able to cross it if it get's older. Larger roaches have a very hard time. 

And yes, I have applied silicone and teflon paint many times with the roaches inside the enclosure. It's only hard if you have daring escape artists. 

• Like 1

I prefer to use enclosures that have a water tight seal around the top, then you don't have to worry about any messy Vaseline or grease 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Randomjoe said:

I use gasket bins to keep them in but the grease would be to keep them in during maintenance and feeding. It's like they know when my hands are full and then they bolt for the top lol.

Yeah, I can relate! :lol: Still, I can't stand that Vaseline stuff, I'd rather keep frantically trying to push them back into their enclosures during maintenance LOL!

• Like 1

I've alwaus used vaseline for my hissers and it works flawlessly, in summer it kinda melts but still they won't cross it over, whenever I clean the enclosure I use paper towels to remove the vaseline that way it won't be messy after you clean the enclosure