Biggest, readily available isopod species?

Chimera

So I had pretty much dismissed isopods as a possibility for my first invert, as I thought they didn't get very large.

But I decided to give them a second chance and checked out the Captive Isopoda site. I was clicking through random species and stumbled across Porcellio exspansus, which the site says can max out over 1.5 inches! :wideyed::blink:

...that's not a typo? Has anyone actually cultured a species that large, or even over 1 inch?

If so, I am so on board! What are some other large species? Are they all extremely expensive?

Thanks! :):)

Nope, not a typo. lol I've currently got a few P.expansus "Orange" individuals that I'm trying to start a culture with and a couple are already about 1 inch (not including uropods) and they're only slightly over half way grown.

The various Spanish Porcellio spp. are the largest you're going to find with Porcellio magnificus standing on top at 2 inches or slightly longer. Porcellio hoffmannseggi, Porcellio hassi "Super Giant", and Porcellio expansus "Orange" are some of the other notably impressive Spanish isopods as far as length goes (although nearly all of them are larger than the biggest species that can be found in the U.S lol) . 

Also, yes, all of the aforementioned species fetch $100+ per 10 individuals.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, All About Insects said:

Nope, not a typo. lol I've currently got a few P.expansus "Orange" individuals that I'm trying to start a culture with and a couple are already about 1 inch (not including uropods) and they're only slightly over half way grown.

The various Spanish Porcellio spp. are the largest you're going to find with Porcellio magnificus standing on top at 2 inches or slightly longer. Porcellio hoffmannseggi, Porcellio hassi "Super Giant", and Porcellio expansus "Orange" are some of the other notably impressive Spanish isopods as far as length goes (although nearly all of them are larger than the biggest species that can be found in the U.S lol) . 

Also, yes, all of the aforementioned species fetch $100+ per 10 individuals.

That’s incredible! I had no idea they could get so big!

That is a bit out of my current price range, though. I’ll have to keep Captive Isopoda bookmarked in my “Wishlist” folder ^_^

Thanks for your answer!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chimera said:

That’s incredible! I had no idea they could get so big!

That is a bit out of my current price range, though. I’ll have to keep Captive Isopoda bookmarked in my “Wishlist” folder ^_^

Thanks for your answer!

Yep and believe it or not, the majority of the Spanish species just made it into the U.S hobby late last year/early this year........very thankful that we now get to experience such awesome creatures in person! :D 

Haha, yeah, they are some pricey little (well, not for isopods, I guess ;) ) inverts.  In fact, I probably wouldn't even have the species that I do if I wasn't able to trade for them. lol

No problem! :)