Red runner extreme die off

mantisfan101

I ordered 280+ res runners off of ebay and when I got them Infound them all crammed into a 32 oz deli cup. I put them im their steuo and I noticed that some of them had died. I was told that the heat lamp that I kept them under probably was frying them, so I removed them from the heat lamp. In the next couple hours I found another 20+ dead. I moved them into another enclosure. Another 20-30+ dead. I raised the humidity but still, more dead. They would always be on their backs and try to right themselves but they never could get back up, and they always acted really sluggsih when I righted them. Even worse, when I did flip them over they would sometiems stick out their hind legs to the sides like an airplane and just slowly drag themselves around with their antennae idragging along too. What is going on? I went from around 300 to about 80 in less than 2 days and I’ really hpset and concerned; is it possible that it was pesticides? I fed some to all my pets and I really don’t want anything bad to gappen to them. I currently have them in a tupperware bin with moist peat/coco fiber to keep humidity high. 

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

@mantisfan101 I'd say there was probably something very wrong with them on arrival, perhaps due to them being crammed in such a small container... I'd set them up on an inch or so of coconut fiber kept pretty humid, with lots and lots of eggcrates to hide in, and a LOT of heat and ventilation, (that heat lamp should be fine), if any of them survive what is probably just severe shipping stress, then they should do well in such a setup. 

• 2 weeks later...

There were like 20 left and yeah, I think cramming almost 300 roaches into a 32 oz deli cup was probably the main problem. I acquired another colony and I mixed the two together to avoid inbreeding and they seem to be doing ok, laid a bunch of ooths but none of them hatched yet. On average, how long does it take for the egg cases to hatch? They were all laid around Mid-November and still have yet to hatch. 

Sorry I don't know.  The only kind I've kept in recent years are German and there were too many to monitor activity like that.  Best of luck with your survivors.

• 1 month later...

I also ordered 280 red runners on ebay and had a ton of them dieoff too lol. Mine are stable now. I think they may have died from dehydration, but now that someone else who obviously bought from the same seller is experiencing dieoffs, maybe it wasnt dehydration after all.

Are the ones that die lying on their backs when you find them?

These are what mine looked like.

--> https://imgur.com/a/ofjzWUy

• 4 months later...

Are you allowed to mention who you bought them off I recently got almost 400 and they were dying off from the day they arrived I've contacted the seller who I won't name yet and he's trying to say it's my fault from poor/incorrect husbandry which is utter rubbish so I'll wait and see what he does about it first before making it public on here 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Silverback300 said:

Are you allowed to mention who you bought them off I recently got almost 400 and they were dying off from the day they arrived I've contacted the seller who I won't name yet and he's trying to say it's my fault from poor/incorrect husbandry which is utter rubbish so I'll wait and see what he does about it first before making it public on here 

Yeah it's allowed, there's actually a reviews section here for just such a topic:

http://www.roachforum.com/forum/16-breeder-feedback/

• 3 weeks later...