help! Is hisser molting or pregnant?

New hissing cockroach owner here--how do I tell if my cockroach Long John (female) is molting or pregnant? She looks like she's splitting at the seams. She's very large so we're not sure if she would even be at a molting age--we got them a month ago, so not too sure of her age. She hasn't done anything to indicate pregnancy except that sometimes her rear (?) opens as if she might be about to give birth. She hasn't done anything like that in a few days though. Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

Hard to tell without pictures, however what with the rear opening comment I'm inclined to believe she's about to give birth, if so then you better make sure the enclosure is escape proof, baby hissers are escape artists!

• Like 1

if you suspect a roach is pregnant, i say take her out of the nice set up/display enclosure (if thats what you have her in) now and put her somewhere thats nymph escape proof, then just dont mess with her. (handling and stuff that isnt necessary) make sure the conditions are optimal and just wait to see what happens for awhile. 

if you got her when she was already an adult or you have her in an enclosure with males, she probably didnt wait til marriage if you know what im saying lmao. if she is gravid then youre in for a fun time, the nymphs are so cute and funny to watch. but, to apply a quote from smash mouth, the nymphs "start coming and they dont stop coming". in that case, id say put that display enclosure to use with a male hisser since he wont be launching little walking tictacs everywhere. maybe make some friends with pets who have insectivore dining habits.

before i joined this forum i got this golden piece of advice, if you want a nice enclosure for one or two and dont want any nymphs (or arent going to want to pick them all up yourself to move into a colony bin) then you should just get males. they fight sometimes if you have more than one (especially depending on the size of the space and amount of hides etc) but its pretty funny to watch the dorks act all big and tough over an egg carton.

i am nowhere as experienced, not even a fraction of a fraction, as the two mad lads who already responded so take their word over mine. well wishes to you and long john

• Like 1