good substrate? experience needed!

emmett

i love the folks at joshsfrogs, ive bought a lot of different supplies and plants from there (even some roaches) and they are pretty nice. i suck at substrate, ik its not complicated to make a nice mix yourself, but its just hard for me me to tell whats good or not. especially whats too moist and too dry for my roaches? if its not completely soaked or completely dry i couldnt tell you lol (im an idiot, sue me.) i saw this substrate when i was about to order some leaf litter and it sounds pretty good in my uneducated opinion. it says its good for bioactive, which i dont have, but if its be a good fit for for a regular enclosure i might buy it. is/could this would be good for archimandrita tesselata ? ugh.

https://www.joshsfrogs.com/josh-s-frogs-biobedding-tropical-bioactive-substrate-4-quarts.html

the websites description incase link no longer works: Josh's Frogs BioBedding Tropical Bioactive Substrate is the perfect substrate for your tropical bioactive enclosure. Biobedding Tropical is a unique blend of organic and inorganic ingredients, trace elements, and beneficial fungi that serves to jump start the bioactive environment. Biobedding Tropical helps maintain humidity while providing a substrate your pets can dig and lay eggs in, all while helping to maintain healthy populations of microfauna. Biobedding Tropical is ideal for crested geckos, water dragons, anoles, tropical snakes and lizards, and many other reptiles, amphibians, and invertebrates.

How BioBedding benefits you and your pets:

• less frequent substrate changes - spend less time maintaining your pet's tank, and more time enjoying your pet! This also means less stressful tank cleanouts for your pet!
  • more naturalistic approach to pet keeping - that much closer to replicating your pet's native habitat
  • tank stays cleaner due to bioactive cycle
  • much more attractive appearance than traditional substrates

i want to try it if it will be a good fit, i wish there were more places like kyles website that could give more info. sometimes its overwhelming trying to go through so many posts for answers. i think i would probably mix it in w regular coco husk chips or eco earth? thank you everyone, if you have better ideas please let me know!

That looks good. It's mostly sphagnum moss and orchid bark it looks like, with a little charcoal mixed in.

I mix my own bedding by volume mostly. It's taken a little while to dial in but it's pretty much just 1/4 sphagnum moss, 1/2 med coco fiber chunks, and 1/8 peat moss, 1/8 leaf matter all mixed together. Keep practicing it's worth it when you get it right. I put a good 3 inches in the bottom of the tub and then add leaves and it keeps the moisture in pretty good. My tropical roaches love this stuff.

• Like 1