Panesthia angustipennis cognata "Cambodia" (Orangeback Roach)

Hisserdude

• Hisserdude changed the title to Panesthia angustipennis cognata "Cambodia" (Orangeback Roach)
10 hours ago, Randomjoe said:

Very nice looking. I hope they do good for you.

Thanks, definitely a beautiful species, hopefully I can get a breeding culture established! (gonna take a while though, they grow and breed quite slowly). 

• 2 months later...

@Ty Randall might have some available, if not him then I'm afraid no one else is going to within the US, we're working on establishing this species here right now. 😅 And yes, one of my males matured actually, pictures coming soon! 

6 hours ago, FlamingSwampert said:

Where did you get these from? I would really like to get my hands on some myself! Any updates?

3 hours ago, Hisserdude said:

@Ty Randall might have some available, if not him then I'm afraid no one else is going to within the US, we're working on establishing this species here right now. 😅 And yes, one of my males matured actually, pictures coming soon! 

I spread around as many as I could to the top breeders in the USA. Waiting on nymphs now before spreading any more around

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FlamingSwampert said:

Wow... how big is he? From the pictures he looks massive!

A little over an inch, maybe an inch and a half, so not very big, this is one of the smallest Panesthia in culture I believe. 😂

5 hours ago, Hisserdude said:

A little over an inch, maybe an inch and a half, so not very big, this is one of the smallest Panesthia in culture I believe. 😂

Wow, I was waaaay off... they remind me of a Rhino roach, so I assumed they were at least a few inches in length...

16 hours ago, FlamingSwampert said:

Wow, I was waaaay off... they remind me of a Rhino roach, so I assumed they were at least a few inches in length...

Yeah, they're definitely similar to Macropanesthia in looks, but not in size lol, (nor are they especially closely related, Panesthia are in the subfamily Panesthiinae, whereas Macropanesthia are in the subfamily Geoscapheinae).

5 hours ago, Hisserdude said:

eah, they're definitely similar to Macropanesthia in looks, but not in size lol, (nor are they especially closely related, Panesthia are in the subfamily Panesthiinae, whereas Macropanesthia are in the subfamily Geoscapheinae).

Yeah. It's so strange how some speices are distantly related, yet look so similar.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Joopes said:

So do the females and males have wings?

Yup, but adults Panesthiinae will tear their wings up a little while after maturing, in the wild they develop wings so they can fly to new rotten logs and colonize them, after that the wings just get in the way of their tunneling, so they rub and scrape their wings against their tunnels until they are torn down to jagged nubs. Like a more primitive version of what termite and ant alates do. 

• 6 months later...

Found about a dozen babies in the enclosure the other day, after a gestation period of approximately 6 months.  :D  I've officially bred all three Panesthiinae species in my collection, yay!

Panesthia.A.cognataNymph%25231.JPG

Panesthia.A.cognataNymph%25234.JPG

Panesthia.A.cognataNymph%25238.JPG

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

My colony has exploded, these are absolutely thriving for me. :D Got some new pics of them recently as well:

P.a.cognataCambodia2022%235.JPG

P.a.cognataCambodia2022%234.JPG

P.a.cognataCambodia2022%238.JPG

P.a.cognataCambodia2022%237.JPG

• Like 1