mixing female roaches of different species

hi everyone, i apologise if this has been asked before. i was wondering - if kept as purely pets with enough space - if a group of only female, mixed species roaches would get along with each other? (obviously all species of similar care requirements) would they become stressed about not being able to breed with each other? would they find the other species untrustworthy? i've noticed roaches to be pretty passive and friendly with each other but i just wanted to make sure. thank you! 🙂💗

Hello, to help a bit with your question usually some roaches may get along better together than others. A concern with cohabitation of species is one species outcompeting the other for food/hiding places, etc. Some would thrive and the others would dwindle down in population, but since you don't intend to have them reproduce it may be possible to house multiple species together and have them coexist to an extent. There may be aggression between different species, but I have no evidence myself. They may stress each other out, but they don't seem to get lonely if not able to breed. I had a single female Deaths head roach live for over 3+ years in her own enclosure. Just recently lost her. 

Another concern is different microclimates/care. Some species may require much different husbandry needs than what another species may need (humidity, temperature, ventilation, substrate depth etc.) so there can be conflict on that end as well. Some aren't super picky. I've heard of others that have successfully kept different roaches together, but not sure how it may work out in the long run. 

I myself haven't really mixed species, but maybe some others with more insight/experience can pitch in better information.  I've heard of Blattidae sp. "Kenya" aka "little Kenyan roaches" getting along with other larger species of roaches due to their small size and tolerance to different conditions, but i have no proof of this unfortunately. So it could be false 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shinylarvitar97 said:

Hello, to help a bit with your question usually some roaches may get along better together than others. A concern with cohabitation of species is one species outcompeting the other for food/hiding places, etc. Some would thrive and the others would dwindle down in population, but since you don't intend to have them reproduce it may be possible to house multiple species together and have them coexist to an extent. There may be aggression between different species, but I have no evidence myself. They may stress each other out, but they don't seem to get lonely if not able to breed. I had a single female Deaths head roach live for over 3+ years in her own enclosure. Just recently lost her. 

Another concern is different microclimates/care. Some species may require much different husbandry needs than what another species may need (humidity, temperature, ventilation, substrate depth etc.) so there can be conflict on that end as well. Some aren't super picky. I've heard of others that have successfully kept different roaches together, but not sure how it may work out in the long run. 

I myself haven't really mixed species, but maybe some others with more insight/experience can pitch in better information.  I've heard of Blattidae sp. "Kenya" aka "little Kenyan roaches" getting along with other larger species of roaches due to their small size and tolerance to different conditions, but i have no proof of this unfortunately. So it could be false 

thank you for the info! if i try this i'll make sure to be as meditative as possible and keep backup plans if they don't end up getting along. also sorry to hear about your deaths head roach :( im glad she got to live so long though!!!!!

Yeah I'm sure some extra enclosures would be good to have in case some species don't seem to get along. Hopefully you find some more info and others that have firsthand experience in keeping species together. Thank you, she had a good life, and was thankfully able to grace me with 1 litter of nymphs before she passed. I never paired her for almost 3 years before I found a male. 

• Like 1