Exotics Lover Getting Into Inverts!

Ghost Mouse

Hi everybody! Thank you for letting me in the forum. 

I've loved and kept creatures my whole life long and am currently working on a book about DIY enclosures and habitats. I've always loved "buggos" (a term I use deliberately to separate it from the true bugs taxonomical grouping, because I mean the more colloquial, "any small invertebrate" use of the word-- plus I mean, it's kind of cute right?) but until recently have never thought to keep them beyond a few hours to a few days of observation before setting them free again. 

It was a perfect storm. AntsCanada on YouTube, mantises at a reptile expo... and then one day, I found a newly mated queen ant, and long story short I have a hibernating ant queen in an elaborate formicarium I made, a P audax jumping spider in an even more elaborate jar terrarium, and three tarantula slings. 

I actually started looking into cockroaches because of food for my tarantulas and also my not-yet-hatched crested gecko that a friend is gifting me. I was leery at first because I didn't want any potential escapees to cause a problem in the house and was hoping they don't reek like crickets do. I have my buffalo beetle colony and they are well contained, quiet, and not stinky. But I don't feel they're enough nutrition without anything else on offer so I began to look at dubias... 

And then I saw them. 

You guys. 

Guys there are cockroaches that are brightly colored and iridescent jewel beetle lookin friends.

GUYS

THIS IS NOT A DRILL

JEWEL. ROACHES. 

I must one day own some P magnifica. They are SO COOL. I mean I was looking for golden tortoise beetles but nevermind those, JEWEL. COCKROACHES. I'm in love. 

So anyway now I just kind of want to learn more about roach keeping in general and am happy to be here! 

Enjoy a photo of my fave terrarium as a payment for reading all that nonsense lol. No critters yet but is about to be home to a pair of dart frogs. Ignore the carrot and cabbage bits, those are for the isopods. I hekkin' love isopods. 

tranquilfairygarden1.jpg

Hi and Welcome! Seems we have similar interests as I also started with ants few years ago, and which then led to roaches !

Now, i am digging deeper into the roach world 😁

I would recommend the book ”for the love of cockroaches” from Orin McMonigle as a good starting point.

Cheers