Nervous 1st time hisser owner

As a kid I loved bugs, but as an adult I have a knee-jerk reaction to anything that isn’t a roly poly. 
I wanted to get into bug keeping because I still find them wildly interesting. I purchased nymphs thinking they would be tiny and I could grow to get used to them and vice versa... Only thing is, these nymphs are rather big. Wayyy larger than I bargained for. 
Does anyone have advice for complete newbies handling them? I don’t want to hurt them if I have a sudden reaction to them darting or something. 

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome! I found hissers to be rather tough critters. With their sticky pads on their feet you will find them (and most other species) to be rather difficult to flip off your hand. They are very resilient. 

• 2 weeks later...

hi! the nymphs are pretty wild and they can jump off your hand sometimes, so when handling them make sure you're gentle and doing it above their enclosure so if they jump off, you won't have to manically grab them off the floor. the adults are super chill and they never fall off your hands. just make sure you're prepared if they hiss cuz it can be kinda startling! good luck :)

On 10/14/2020 at 8:21 PM, Tikimambo said:

As a kid I loved bugs, but as an adult I have a knee-jerk reaction to anything that isn’t a roly poly. 
I wanted to get into bug keeping because I still find them wildly interesting. I purchased nymphs thinking they would be tiny and I could grow to get used to them and vice versa... Only thing is, these nymphs are rather big. Wayyy larger than I bargained for. 
Does anyone have advice for complete newbies handling them? I don’t want to hurt them if I have a sudden reaction to them darting or something. 

You could just pet them in the cage until you get used to them.