Bad luck with PetSmart hissers?

Welcome to the hobby! A couple things. Roaches are semi-social. So when there are only a few they are going to stay hidden. Safety in numbers.  It’s a self preservation tactic. Also individual roaches eat very little. And hissers need heat. Room temperature won’t cut it. 

5 hours ago, Matttoadman said:

Welcome to the hobby! A couple things. Roaches are semi-social. So when there are only a few they are going to stay hidden. Safety in numbers.  It’s a self preservation tactic. Also individual roaches eat very little. And hissers need heat. Room temperature won’t cut it. 

when you say they need heat, what do you mean? how much? 

thank you

I was under the assumption that they prefer  above room temperature to breed well. Like warmer than the 80’s. Perhaps this is wrong? The species I had didn’t do much until I put a 50watt red bulb over them.

@Martinfor madagascar hissing roaches, keeping them in the range of 72 - 80 degrees fahrenheit inside the tank is best. make sure u don't get it so hot that they get burned. also having the heat mat (or whatever u wanna use) on one far side of the tank is good so that there's a temperature gradient and they can choose where they wanna be in that range.

also, in response to the original topic, sometimes they just don't hiss! my 2 adults are female, one of them hisses hysterically and the other one has never done it once. they have their own little personalities! along with keeping them warm, making sure they have a dark place to hide is essential so that they don't get stressed. mist the enclosure with warm water daily if not twice daily, they need humidity. try feeding them romaine lettuce or blueberries. my roaches go absolutely bonkers for those foods. and if you're planning on having them mate, make sure you get an enclosure big enough for all the babies when they get bigger! hope this helps :) good luck xoxo 

• 1 month later...
On 02.11.2020 at 09:23, meredithzall said:

опрыскивайте вольер теплой водой ежедневно, если не дважды в день, им необходима влажность.

Cockroaches of the tribe Gromphadorhini do not need moisture, they all live in an arid climate - in deserts, semi-deserts and xerophytic woodlands.

5 hours ago, Gromphadorhini said:

Cockroaches of the tribe Gromphadorhini do not need moisture, they all live in an arid climate - in deserts, semi-deserts and xerophytic woodlands.

I mean, most of them do like it dry, but most do appreciate a little moisture and don't like their entire enclosures bone dry, while they come from arid habitats they will retreat to humid microhabitats (like under bark on logs) when needed in the wild. 

The way they pack them in US pet stores, in bare bottom deli cups with screen lids is way too dry, and they often are half dead inside the cups when you get them. 

7 hours ago, Hisserdude said:

Я имею в виду, что большинству из них нравится сушить, но большинство действительно ценит немного влаги и не любит, когда все их вольеры высыхают, в то время как они происходят из засушливых местообитаний, они при необходимости отступят во влажные микрогрохоты (например, под корой на бревнах). в дикой природе. 

Of course, even the desert Polyphaga spp. they look for the most humid places, for example, burrows of turtles or rodents, but when keeping dry Oxyhaloinae, including Gromphadorhini, it is enough to install a small drinking bowl, where insects periodically come to drink. The rest of the time they spend in the dry part of the container.

7 hours ago, Hisserdude said:

То, как они упаковывают их в зоомагазинах США, в гастрономические чашки с голым дном и крышками-сетками, слишком сухо, и они часто бывают полумертвыми внутри чашек, когда вы их получаете.

Yes, this is true, they are often kept like that by amateurs, without access to water at all :(

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gromphadorhini said:

Of course, even the desert Polyphaga spp. they look for the most humid places, for example, burrows of turtles or rodents, but when keeping dry Oxyhaloinae, including Gromphadorhini, it is enough to install a small drinking bowl, where insects periodically come to drink. The rest of the time they spend in the dry part of the container.

Yes, this is true, they are often kept like that by amateurs, without access to water at all :(

Exactly, I was just referring to the way our pet stores carry them, in completely dry setups with no water access, definitely not an acceptable way to keep them.