Isopods GLOW under UV light!

Acro

On 11/18/2020 at 1:38 PM, Shuos Zehun said:

I did discover that dry-roasted peanuts fluoresce disturbingly well

I've read that fresh peanut butter will glow under a black light too!  But I've yet to test it out.

5 hours ago, Allpet Roaches said:

I tried all my big species and never saw a hint. I never thought to look at either Trichorhina.

It seems that at least one Cubaris species will glow too:

w4oxkmmx2qa51.jpg

(Cubaris sp. ‘Blonde Rubber Ducky’ from dartknightexotics reddit page)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/17/2020 at 11:55 PM, Acro said:

I just found out that some isopods will glow under UV light!

:

(Trichorhina tomentosa pictured, from dartknightexotics.com)

Are there any other species that do this???

I don't know how they made these photos but I have a black light flashlight and tried both species and don't see anything like these images.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I was told by a vendor at a local show the reason these do not fluoresce under standard black light bulbs or flashlights is the wavelength is wrong. He said the light needs to be 365nm. I ordered a light in that wavelength just now to see if it's true.

I got the new wavelength light and the expansus look a little different, on a few species like A. frontirostre and P. ornatus the gray body parts look purple, and some the dead ones glow but not the live ones. However, I don't see anything on the duckies even remotely like the pics. What does look crazy neat is the white micros. The rear tip (abdomen) glows bright purple. Jungle micros do not.

• 2 weeks later...

Super cool Orin!  Nature always seems to amaze!

Did you happen to get any photos???  :)

Also, maybe there is another wavelength black light that was used for the photos from DartkNightExotics?  I talk to him every now and then, but haven't talked for months, so I haven't been able to ask.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/19/2021 at 5:07 PM, Acro said:

Super cool Orin!  Nature always seems to amaze!

Did you happen to get any photos???  :)

Also, maybe there is another wavelength black light that was used for the photos from DartkNightExotics?  I talk to him every now and then, but haven't talked for months, so I haven't been able to ask.

The gold dalmatian glows green down the stripes and some blue. The only really neat ones are the white micropods but I can't get them to stay still. I don't have a blacklight flash so when they move it looks like a glow in the air. I could try freezing one but this is the most time I'm currently willing to invest.

Porcellio scaber gold dalmatian.JPG

52 minutes ago, Allpet Roaches said:

. . . so when they move it looks like a glow in the air.

That would be a cool photo to see.

No need to freeze one for a photo.

I'll contact DartkNightExotics eventually, and I'll ask how the photos were made. 

• 10 months later...