Defined collection direction

Раньше я собирал тараканов из определенных групп, но теперь решил избавиться от сопутствующих видов, не представляющих интереса для специфики сбора. Прежде всего, я избавился от Blaberinae и Blattidae. Потом из других групп. Сейчас моя коллекция сильно поредела 😜, остались только (как и ожидалось) Oxyhaloinae, Corydiinae и Panesthiinae. Какие конкретно группы тараканов вы собираете? :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gromphadorhini said:

Раньше я собирал тараканов из определенных групп, но теперь решил избавиться от сопутствующих видов, не представляющих интереса для специфики сбора. Прежде всего, я избавился от Blaberinae и Blattidae. Потом из других групп. Сейчас моя коллекция сильно поредела 😜, остались только (как и ожидалось) Oxyhaloinae, Corydiinae и Panesthiinae. Какие конкретно группы тараканов вы собираете? :)

Our Russian is rusty.

14 hours ago, Gromphadorhini said:

Translating from Google

I used to collect cockroaches from certain groups, but now I decided to get rid of accompanying species that are not of interest for the specifics of collection. First of all, I got rid of Blaberinae and Blattidae. Then from other groups. Now my collection has become very thin 😜, only (as expected) Oxyhaloinae, Corydiinae and Panesthiinae remain. What specific groups of cockroaches do you collect? :)

Reply:

I like to the mimic type of cockroaches, but at this moment, I will collect whatever I can get my hands on :D

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Martin said:

I like to the mimic type of cockroaches, but at this moment, I will collect whatever I can get my hands on :D

And I used to collect everyone too, everything I could find 😄

«What is «the mimic type of cockroaches»? :)

On 12/6/2020 at 6:07 AM, Gromphadorhini said:

Perisphaerinae are my favorite group of roaches, hard to collect them here in the US where only a few species are bred with any regularity though... 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Hisserdude said:

Perisphaerinae - моя любимая группа тараканов, их сложно собрать здесь, в США, хотя лишь несколько видов разводятся с какой-либо регулярностью ... 

Yes, in Russia there are also few of them in collections, no more than a dozen species from three to five genera, but sometimes new species are brought from Southeast Asia.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gromphadorhini said:

Yes, in Russia there are also few of them in collections, no more than a dozen species from three to five genera, but sometimes new species are brought from Southeast Asia.

I hope to see more species entering US culture, it's such a unique and diverse family with interesting habits, and most are fairly simple to breed so long as they're given a LOT of ventilation and you pay attention to any seasonal changes they may require. 

4 minutes ago, Hisserdude said:

Я надеюсь, что в культуру США войдет больше видов, это такое уникальное и разнообразное семейство с интересными привычками, и большинство из них довольно просто разводить, если им дают МНОГО вентиляции, и вы обращаете внимание на любые сезонные изменения, которые могут потребоваться . 

Yes, they are wonderful, I also think to start collecting them on the sly :)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gromphadorhini said:

Yes, they are wonderful, I also think to start collecting them on the sly 

I hope you're able to find some species, I'd love to know all the species in culture in Russia. :)

Bantua sp. Namibia
Corydidarum magnifica (Shelford, 1907)
Corydidarum pygmaea (Karny, 1915)
Corydidarum tarsalis (Walker, 1868)
Hyposphaeria sp. South Africa
Pseudoglomeris glomeris (Saussure, 1863)
Pseudoglomeris terranea (Walker, 1871)

and several more indeterminate Perisphaerus species from Southeast Asia.

This is what different keepers have.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gromphadorhini said:

Hyposphaeria sp. South Africa
Pseudoglomeris glomeris (Saussure, 1863)
Pseudoglomeris terranea (Walker, 1871)

and several more indeterminate Perisphaerus species from Southeast Asia 

Ohhh I really want those! Glad to know they're in culture! 

Also, FYI, Corydidarum was made a junior synonym of Pseudoglomeris, and C.pygmaeus was moved back to Perisphaerus. :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hisserdude said:

Ооо, я действительно хочу их!

And I really want Simandoa conserfariam, I know only one person in Russia who has this species, but he still has few of them, but he promised to sell me the first one as soon as he can, but it will probably be very expensive :)

In the spring I will get Gromphadorhina oblongonota, Elliptorhina coquereliana and Princisia sp. "Black & White". With Oxyhaloinae species, everything is generally very bad, too little in culture. I now have from this subfamily:

• Aeluropoda insignis
  • Elliptorhina chopardi
  • Elliptorhina javanica
  • Elliptorhina laevigata
  • Gromphadorhina cf. portentosa "Black"
  • Henschoutedenia flexivitta
  • Nauphoeta cinerea
  • Oxyhaloa deusta
  • Princisia vanwaerebeki

Nobody has pure standard Gromphadorhina portentosa in Russia, only hybrids :(

8 hours ago, Gromphadorhini said:

And I really want Simandoa conserfariam, I know only one person in Russia who has this species, but he still has few of them, but he promised to sell me the first one as soon as he can, but it will probably be very expensive :)

In the spring I will get Gromphadorhina oblongonota, Elliptorhina coquereliana and Princisia sp. "Black & White". With Oxyhaloinae species, everything is generally very bad, too little in culture. I now have from this subfamily:

• Aeluropoda insignis
  • Elliptorhina chopardi
  • Elliptorhina javanica
  • Elliptorhina laevigata
  • Gromphadorhina cf. portentosa "Black"
  • Henschoutedenia flexivitta
  • Nauphoeta cinerea
  • Oxyhaloa deusta
  • Princisia vanwaerebeki

Nobody has pure standard Gromphadorhina portentosa in Russia, only hybrids :(

I need to get Simandoa again at some point too, they're really cool. I hope you're able to get some!

Yeah there are very few Oxyhaloinae in culture, and it's very difficult to source pure portentosa overseas I hear... In fact there may be more hisser hybrids overseas than there are here in the US, I see lots of portentosa and Princisia hybrids being bred over there... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hisserdude said:

Да очень мало Oxyhaloinae в культуре, и это очень трудно источник чистой portentosa за границей , я слышал ... На самом деле может быть больше hisser гибридов за рубежом , чем здесь , в США, я вижу много portentosa и Princisia гибриды разводят там... 

Here, in Russia and the CIS in general, many do not even suspect that there are different types. Most believe that there is simply "Madagascar hissing cockroach." Others, however, think that any black cockroach is Princisia. 😄 This is all because no one has seriously studied and is not engaged in this group. I am, perhaps, the only person who is trying to do this. Now I am preparing for publication my book about Gromphadorhini and preparing an Internet site completely dedicated to Oxyhaloinae.

1270576867_Screenshot_20201210-0749422.thumb.png.a683bc9f6cdd344eb82c68bda5d20c2e.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gromphadorhini said:

Here, in Russia and the CIS in general, many do not even suspect that there are different types. Most believe that there is simply "Madagascar hissing cockroach." Others, however, think that any black cockroach is Princisia. 😄 This is all because no one has seriously studied and is not engaged in this group. I am, perhaps, the only person who is trying to do this. Now I am preparing for publication my book about Gromphadorhini and preparing an Internet site completely dedicated to Oxyhaloinae.

1270576867_Screenshot_20201210-0749422.thumb.png.a683bc9f6cdd344eb82c68bda5d20c2e.png

Yeah the majority of hobbyists are not up to date on hisser taxonomy, and so many create hybrids unknowingly... 

There are others working on this group, George Beccaloni is working on a Gromphadorhini revision, and I believe another EU scientist is doing molecular work on the hobby hisser strains, (which may help determine which stocks in Europe are pure and which are hybrids)... It's slow progress, but progress nonetheless! 

5 minutes ago, Hisserdude said:

В этой группе работают и другие, Джордж Беккалони работает над пересмотром Gromphadorhini, и я считаю, что другой ученый из ЕС проводит молекулярную работу над штаммами шиповника-любителя (которые могут помочь определить, какие виды в Европе чистые, а какие - гибриды). .. Это медленный прогресс, но тем не менее прогресс! 

Yes, I know that they work abroad, but in Russia and the CIS they do not work with this :)