Elliptorhina davidi (Bumpy hisser)

Hisserdude

So prickly ! great coloration as well!

I won't buy any more Hissers until I fully grasp their husbandry... my Halloween hisser colony has been crashing... not sure what I am doing wrong.

need to read more :D

Keep us posted on their developments! and Good luck!

• Sad 1

On 12/10/2020 at 8:17 PM, Scrap said:

That is a beautiful roach. I hope your endeavor into breeding them pays off!

Thanks, I hope so too, I want to see these better established in US culture! :)

On 12/11/2020 at 12:13 AM, Martin said:

So prickly ! great coloration as well!

I won't buy any more Hissers until I fully grasp their husbandry... my Halloween hisser colony has been crashing... not sure what I am doing wrong.

need to read more :D

Keep us posted on their developments! and Good luck!

Yeah, I love them! :D

I'm sorry to hear that, how are you keeping them? Elliptorhina can be a bit finicky, but javanica is supposedly one of the easier ones. 

Thanks, will do! ;)

• 4 weeks later...

My male molted, into what I believe is a subadult... Either that or a small adult, I'm not sure TBH, do Elliptorhina adult males get the really fuzzy antennae like other hisser genera do? Also, note the loss of most of the abdominal tubercles, this is normal in male davidi, females usually stay bumpy even in adulthood though.

Elliptorhinadavidi%252318.JPG

Elliptorhinadavidi%252321.JPG

Elliptorhinadavidi%252322.JPG

Elliptorhinadavidi%252327.JPG

Elliptorhinadavidi%252329.JPG

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Sadly, one of my females died in the subadult stage, seems to have been one of those random deaths commonly reported in this species... But, turns out my male I pictured in the last post actually is an adult, (and his pronotum darkened up a bit), and my other female has matured as well, so hopefully I can still breed this finicky species! 

Elliptorhinadavidi%252342.JPG

Elliptorhinadavidi%252346.JPG

Elliptorhinadavidi%252344.JPG

Elliptorhinadavidi%252330.JPG

Elliptorhinadavidi%252332.JPG

Elliptorhinadavidi%252334.JPG

Elliptorhinadavidi%252336.JPG

Elliptorhinadavidi%252337.JPG

On 2/8/2021 at 7:25 PM, Hisserdude said:

Sadly, one of my females died in the subadult stage, seems to have been one of those random deaths commonly reported in this species... But, turns out my male I pictured in the last post actually is an adult, (and his pronotum darkened up a bit), and my other female has matured as well, so hopefully I can still breed this finicky species! 

Sorry to hear that, I wonder why davidi just randomly die sometimes, but good luck (and keep us posted, as always)!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FlamingSwampert said:

Sorry to hear that, I wonder why davidi just randomly die sometimes, but good luck (and keep us posted, as always)!

Some say it's heat related, others say crowding, diet, inbreeding, humidity levels, etc., who really knows at this point. Thanks, fingers crossed I get at least couple decent broods from this female!