Blaberus craniifer (Death's Head Cockroach) "UCR" vs Regular

Hi all,

I was just wondering about the differences between the "UCR" and regular Death's Head Roach cultivars. I know that the "UCR" are larger, paler, and calmer, but are there any other differences?

Thanks, and happy roaching everyone!

• 4 months later...

I had a short message experience with Orin McMonigle....I was surprised to see him state that he had never seen the UCR strain of Blaberus craniifer

It left me wondering if he was politely suggesting there wasn't two different strains, or if he actually had never come across them in his travels/research.

I keep two colonies, one purchased through a friend as UCR he got from Kyle at Roach Crossing, and another I got here on this forum from Marcus Q out of California....I get a headache seeing variations in pronotum pattern definitions and size of the roach leaving me wondering if there really are two strains.....I guess I have never actually come across any of those named after Orin M and would need to in order to see the differences side by side.

16 hours ago, whowadat said:

I had a short message experience with Orin McMonigle....I was surprised to see him state that he had never seen the UCR strain of Blaberus craniifer

It left me wondering if he was politely suggesting there wasn't two different strains, or if he actually had never come across them in his travels/research.

I keep two colonies, one purchased through a friend as UCR he got from Kyle at Roach Crossing, and another I got here on this forum from Marcus Q out of California....I get a headache seeing variations in pronotum pattern definitions and size of the roach leaving me wondering if there really are two strains.....I guess I have never actually come across any of those named after Orin M and would need to in order to see the differences side by side.

Hmmm... very interesting!

On 5/12/2021 at 2:56 AM, whowadat said:

No, I just never bothered trying to get the UCR strain. It's hard enough trying to keep every bug on earth without trying to keep every strain.

• Haha 4