Digging species in wet substrate

Dear Colleagues:

I have recently acquired some rather large 80x60x42 cm (31.5x23.6x16.5 ") stackable plastic boxes. I had intended to move my Eublaberus spp "Ivory" there but have found that there is condensation. I do not want to open new holes because I do not want to leak or weaken the walls, since four boxes are stacked in each column. When I bought the boxes I was thinking of placing 15 cm of substrate for the nymphs and vertical egg cups or bark for adults, but the condensation is probably forcing me to change species. Someone suggest me some species with these requirements:

- Does not require much temperature to reproduce.
- Likes or at least tolerates wet substrate.
- Eat enough and all kinds of food, mainly kitchen waste, coffee grounds, paper, etc...
- The nymphs are diggers and the adults not so much. 

I had thought of changing to Eublaberus posticus, but perhaps there is a more recommendable species.

Thanks

Daniel Patón
 Numerical Ecology. Ecology Unit
 Department of Plant Biology, Ecology and Earth Sciences
 Faculty of Sciences. University of Extremadura
 Avda. Elvas s/n 06071 Badajoz (Spain)
 https://orcid.org/0000-0003-2500-3964
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Daniel_Paton/

plastic_boxes.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think the ivory-head roaches would be fine. The three main Eublaberus (distantiposticus, and ‘Ivory’) are all relatively similar in care. I have been using E. posticus in a 5-gallon bucket as blatticomposters since January 13th, 2020. They have been fine with high moisture and even weathered fly larvae infestations without problem (in the early stages, there were not enough to keep up with the waste supply and attracted flies). Mine eat just about anything, although they have a disdain for leafy vegetables. I have fed mine wood, old socks, paper towels, and some other strange things just to experiment, and each time, they have eventually broken it down. They will eat any fruit, including the peel, and are particularly fond of cat food. Regardless, any Eublaberus should work for this, although ivory-head roaches are generally considered the default for blatticomposting. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...