Zebra adults help!

birdonfire

I keep my zebra isopods, Amadillidium maculatum, like I keep my dairy cows and powdery orange isopods but with a small amount of screen mesh to encourage more ventilation. The enclosure is a 6 qt sterilite plastic shoebox. I regularly feed carrots and offer fish pellets and chick feed occasionally. Long fibered sphagnum moss and sycamore/oak leaves are always available. Cuttlebone is offered and bagged oyster shell crumble (for chickens) is a recent addition. Coconut coir is used as substrate. I check the moisture level at least once a week and top off if needed: one side moist and one side dry. 

Any thoughts on why the adults seem to be struggling? 

Reducing excessive ventilation and increasing substrate moisture throughout the enclosure is going to be my first trial-and-error. I will certainly take a closer look at the potential for mites as well. Thank you.

Are zebras, or Amadillidium spp. in general, more prone to issues with overcrowding? 

1 hour ago, birdonfire said:

Reducing excessive ventilation and increasing substrate moisture throughout the enclosure is going to be my first trial-and-error. I will certainly take a closer look at the potential for mites as well. Thank you.

Are zebras, or Amadillidium spp. in general, more prone to issues with overcrowding? 

You can have hundreds in a plastic shoebox with no problem.

Yeah in my experience the zebras don't like dryness. Decent ventilation isn't a bad idea, but a dry area is not IMO.