Gromphadorhina portentosa

jbrd

The other nite my wife and I were walking by our hisser colony and everyone of them were all frantic and and moving everywhere, from nymphs to adults. This lasted for approximately twenty minutes before they finally settled down.

Anyone ever seen this type of behavior before?

I've often seen a similar behaviour in Schultesia lampyridiformis and Nauphoeta cinerea, and sometimes in Rhypharobia maderae "golden" too...

But I don't know the reason...

I have seen similar behaviour in a few different species and the common denominator was a female ready to mate and males /females chasing each other all around trying to.....breed. Often too there will be a freshly molted female which I think they give off (in many species) a mating hormone that makes them all crazy. Watch Diploptera punctata when a female nymph molts into adult and all the males go nuts!

Watch Diploptera punctata when a female nymph molts into adult and all the males go nuts!

I bet that would be very interesting to see ! :D

If a female was ready to mate, why would it effect even nymphs? :huh:

The only other way i can describe the behavior is when i was feeding off some B.dubia they were all franticn from being taken out and put in another container.